Feb. 16, 2005

Kidan

Seeing Eyes

Mark 8:22-26 (NRSV)
They came to Bethsaida. Some people brought a blind man to him and begged him to touch him. He took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the village; and when he had put saliva on his eyes and laid his hands on him, he asked him, "Can you see anything?" And the man looked up and said, "I can see people, but they look like trees, walking." Then Jesus laid his hands on his eyes again; and he looked intently and his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly. Then he sent him away to his home, saying, "Do not even go into the village."

Jesus stopped and called them. "What do you want me to do for you?" he asked. "Lord," they answered, "we want our sight."
-Matthew 20:32-33 (NIV)

FOR many months, because of my limited mobility, my only outings have been slow, 10-minute walks to the shops. My resentment at being restricted was spoiling these short trips, until God spoke to my heart and gave me an idea.

Each time I went out, I tried to notice three things I hadn't seen before and to record them in a notebook when I returned. Now on quiet, lonely evenings, I get out my notebook and browse through my writing: "Saw my first spring flowers," "Noticed the beautiful pattern white clouds made in the blue sky," "Admired Mrs. W's new baby," "Walked through autumn leaves," "Saw a rainbow." What a delight the reading makes!

When I count the blessings God has given me, they seem to multiply. I have learned to "see," and I often record more than three things that have caught my attention. Now I look forward to my visits to the shops. A smile of contentment has replaced my scowl, and people are more willing to speak to me. God's blessings have multiplied.

Carol Purves (Essex, England)

Prayer
Thank you, God, for eyes to see, and for minds and hearts to appreciate all your gifts. Amen.

Back