Feb 25th, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
Check it:
Our heart is glad in [God], because we trust in his holy name.

-Psalm 33:21 (NRSV)

Devotional:
MY family lives on a farm in the country. I have never been hungry or homeless. I have not personally experienced war. Yet despite my many blessings, I am a worrier. My adult children tease me about how much I worry. If I imagine the worst that could go wrong, occasionally I may be correct; but reason tells me that I waste energy when I worry about things that are out of my control. Still, it isn't enough to know I shouldn't worry. How can I let go of my fears?

Though I have always prayed, now in my 50s I am learning new ways to deepen my relationship with God and to displace worry with trust. The disciplines of waking earlier, praying, reading the Bible, and reflecting on daily devotions are adding new dimensions to my ways of thinking.

My worries are not unique, and I know that worrying will not prevent problems from occurring. The Bible tells many stories of people who faced problems and fears and trusted God to watch over them. We have the opportunity to live our lives with joy, instead of worry, knowing that God is found in the midst of our challenges.

Madeline Gottemoeller (Missouri, U.S.A.)

Prayer:
Dear God, forgive us for worrying. Strengthen our faith in your steadfast love. Amen.

Back