Feb 26th 2005

rizz

Reading
Ephesians 4:17-24 (NRSV)
Now this I affirm and insist on in the Lord: you must no longer live as the Gentiles live, in the futility of their minds. They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of their ignorance and hardness of heart. They have lost all sensitivity and have abandoned themselves to licentiousness, greedy to practice every kind of impurity. That is not the way you learned Christ! For surely you have heard about him and were taught in him, as truth is in Jesus. You were taught to put away your former way of life, your old self, corrupt and deluded by its lusts, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to clothe yourselves with the new self, created according to the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.

Devotional
You are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's own people, in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
-1 Peter 2:9 (NRSV)

ABOUT a mile into my daily run, I noticed what appeared to be a small animal on the side of the road. Thinking it to be a bird, I looked again but could not see it. Then I noticed a sparrow among the brown, winter grass and weeds. The sparrow so blended in with its surroundings that it was barely visible.

I thought how often we as Christians blend in with the world, becoming indistinguishable from non-believers. Do we prefer to remain unnoticed in our surroundings? Our world is a sinful place, and Christians are called to be holy people. Our words and our actions should show us to be different, for the sake of Christ.

Boyd Joyce (North Carolina, U.S.A.)

Prayer
Prayer
Dear Lord, you have called us to be holy and set apart. Give us courage to live as your holy witnesses, even if it means that we must step out of our comfort zones. Amen.

Thought for the Day
Would anyone be surprised to learn that you are a Christian?

Prayer Focus

For courage to act for Christ

Back