February 14th, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
Read this!
The psalmist wrote, "You are indeed my rock and my fortress; for your name's sake lead me and guide me."

-Psalm 31:3 (NRSV)

Devotional:
WHEN I take my dog, Savannah, for a walk, I prefer to take the familiar route. Savannah, on the other hand, likes to explore new trails and will often tug at her chain to pull me in a different direction. When I allow Savannah to take the lead and follow her, I often discover a new treasure -- an unexpected brook, an array of wildflowers, or a beautiful old oak tree. And if we're in an unfamiliar area, I know Savannah can lead us back to the path that will take us home.

I find that something similar is true in my spiritual walk with God. When I allow God to lead me, I discover new friends, new opportunities to serve others, and new awareness of God's presence and power. When I stop trying to pull in the direction I am accustomed to and let God guide my steps toward change, I am often surprised at the blessings waiting for me there. God knows the path I need to take.

Elaine S. Clark (Georgia, U.S.A.)

Prayer!
Lord, make us willing to follow where you lead us, knowing that you will guide us in the steps we need to take and that you will always walk beside us. Amen.

Oops, I posted the wrong one. Hehe, it's fixed now.

Surrounded by Challenges

Read this:
Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking up toward heaven?

-Acts 1:11 (NRSV)

LAST January, I took my wife to the airport to begin a trip overseas. As always, I waited until the plane took off; and I stayed looking toward the sky, thinking of my wife inside the airplane. When I could not see the plane any more, I returned home to do the many tasks she had left for me to accomplish.

The Bible tells us that when Jesus was taken into heaven, his disciples gazed upward until two strangers broke the spell by asking, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking up toward heaven?" As Christians, we find comfort in looking to the risen Christ for reassurance and for the energy to renew our spiritual lives.

However, when we turn to everyday challenges, to big tasks that demand much of us, we look at the world of human beings. We see poverty, illnesses, hunger, misery, conflict, and natural disasters. These challenge us to make commitments and to develop ways of acting that address both spiritual and physical needs. When Christ returns, we will account for how we have handled these tasks.

And, time for prayer:
Kind God, without your help we cannot do anything. Inspire us to serve our neighbors in imitation of Jesus Christ, in whose name we pray. Amen.

Last edited:
Back