God's purpose for me?

Uther

Hello

I am introverted (meaning shy) and I don't like to even go out of the house. I have been playing World of Warcraft since November 2009; but I tread likely on the subject because of fear of witchcraft. I have prayed many times for guidance if WoW is evil but I cannot seem to see if WoW really is evil; I also consider that it is the devil making me doubt so that he can destroy me.
In my time in WoW; I have discovered that I speak easier to people than in the real world. My older brother also played for a few months and told me that if you go looking for evil in something, you'll find it and that it is not real and we know the truth.

I did some soul searching and found that things are not considered sin if you glorify God with it and be witness to Him. So I thought that I could glorify Him through WoW; instead of taking credit for achievements, I should pass it on to Him. And then it hit me like a lightning bolt, is this why I can't leave WoW, because God wants me to use it to testify and win people to Christ? Is this why the devil wants me to doubt WoW so that Jesus cannot win more followers. If so, I'll start a Christian guild on my server EU-Lightbringer.

On a side note, for the guild, any advice how I can bring people to God; because I think of the guild like an in-game church and bible group.

And on another side note, what's your opinion on playing Death Knights, Warlocks, Mages, Druids and Shamans?

Some of the things you're struggling with have been discussed at length in other threads. You may want to check out some of these threads:

My older brother also played for a few months and told me that if you go looking for evil in something, you'll find it and that it is not real and we know the truth.

Your brother's view on evil is disturbing, to be honest. Evil is quite real, as are angels, demons, Jesus, and the Spirit. There's a reason that 1st and 2nd Kings talks about how bad the leaders and countries were. There's a reason that Jesus needed to come to die for our sins. There's a reason that Paul talks extensively about evil and temptation in 1 Cor 10.

That reason? It's real. Very real.

things are not considered sin if you glorify God with it and be witness to Him.
Very true, but be careful with this. For example, you'd be hard-pressed to convince me that it's okay to murder, do drugs, or many other things as an act of worship. Sacrificing children was a pagan ritual. However, I believe that you are correct in saying that you can bring God glory in WoW. For reference, you could check The Forgiven State of the Union which will hint on the history and purpose behind TF, one of our many Christ-centered WoW guilds.

And on another side note, what's your opinion on playing Death Knights, Warlocks, Mages, Druids and Shamans?

This has to be something between you & God. If you are able to separate the fact that you are controlling a bunch of pixels.. and it doesn't matter if you're a hunter with a wolf or a warlock with a voidwalker.. .then play it. If you struggle with that separation, then don't. It's really that easy.

On a side note, for the guild, any advice how I can bring people to God; because I think of the guild like an in-game church and bible group.

People like to gather with like minded people. We feel safe with others who think alike, believe as we believe, value what we value. I'm not sure, if your guild is 100% professing Christians, that you will bring any of them to Lord. Having a "Christian" guild is good for the spirit for where 2 or more of us gather, the Spirit is there with us. We get strength, fellowship and support in our Christian groups. So if you are looking for that, then a Christian guild is the logical way and means.

If you feel a calling to outreach, then the amount of outreach you will do to other like minded individuals in a Christian guild is going to be somewhere near zero. My quick recommendation is to go with a non-Christian guild. And I don't mean start one, I mean join one. Yeah, there will be swearing and all kinds of adult situations and other sorts of debauchery for good measure. People who need God tend to act like that. They need to see that the gentle touch of the Lord is within reach for them as well. An ear to listen, a heart for compassion, a back to help carry a load.

I'm not in a Christian guild any more (best thing for me EVER). Yeah, there is swearing, there is drinking, people are stoned. And yet, where is there a better place to be show patience, kindness, contentedness, quietness, humbleness, being slow to anger and keeping record of no wrong. Is there a better place to show you delight in goodness and hard work, how you value truth over lies, trusting - hoping and preserverance?

I have chatted with people in my current guild who have horde characters and are guild leaders of horde guilds that I'm not 100% sure that members of my old guild would even give the time of day to (considering some of them don't even give me the time of day, and I'm a brother). I have made friends and brothers where enemies once lurked.

This post caught my eye. If you're looking for advice here is mine plain and simple :)

You seem to be in a back and forth struggle with the thought of even playing wow. I would say to first find peace with that and really nail down what bothers you about it. It seems you have thought through a good bit and it's good that you are coming to other fellow believers about it. In my experience playing this game, I've been in both Christian and Secular guilds. Most people are nice and fun people. I enjoyed my time in both, but at some point I couldn't take the constant influx of language and dirty talk. You have to find your balance. It's easier to be pulled down than to pull someone up...especially when you are outnumbered (but God boosts your odds quite a bit ;) ). I agree 100% with what Aves said about mingling with non-believers if you feel called to be a witness. But if you do, be prepared to guard your heart and mind. For me, it is difficult to stay in that kind of environment (on WoW) for an extended period of time. It's just how it affects me :) not saying it will be the same for you, but just watch out for that. Being in a Christian guild is a whole other experience that I've come to love. It's a family. It's friendships you can rely on even though it's over the net. You can still witness through a Christian guild, but I personally enjoy the game and stay within a Christian environment for those reasons. I commend anyone who plays the game with the goal of trying to share Christ, but I play the game as a past time and see it as a time of fellowship (with both Christians and non alike).

So basically, decide what you feel you're being lead to. Pray about it :) First have a peace about the game and then decide what you think God would have you do and where you would benefit Him the most.

So basically, decide what you feel you're being lead to. Pray about it :) First have a peace about the game and then decide what you think God would have you do and where you would benefit Him the most.

This. The Bible supports both of these two organizational structures.

The Church gathering is one. A pattern built for building up the Body. This could be likened to the fellowship in a Christian guild.

Then there is another structure. The missionary band. The Paul and Barnabas out in the real world looking to create disciples and followers of Jesus who will (IN TURN) create churches and communities like the above.

My only addition would be that if you do feel called to choose to go into a non-Christian guild situation that you go with a fellow brother or sister. I can speak from experience that going alone with no accountability or encouragement partner can be disastrous. There is nothing worse than (and I speak from personal experience) letting the devil tell you "You are strong enough" only to be tempted in compromising situations. Paul needed brothers and sisters. We do too.

Great point, Lloren. And if you read thru Acts and book by Paul, it's not just Paul & Barnabas... Paul references a LOT of people that he depends on. Even just you & a buddy won't be enough to keep it going, you'll need several people to support you - especially early on.

Well, I am very introverted, neurotic and shy so I am on my own most of the time. At the risk of sounding like a patient for Bedlam, I am the type of person who can argue with himself; but I sometimes feel a "whispering", which caused my turmoil over WoW, telling that what I'm doing is sin, sometimes when I'm doing something that I know is not sin. I believe that this whispering to be evil because while it will attack me with thoughts of going to hell, it will sometimes blurt out blasphemy; but a quick prayer chases the whispering away. My conviction is that no game is sin unless it brings you to act out the game IRL (i.e. steal a car after playing GTA) or if it blasphemies God.

If anything, the paladins have kind of inspired me in faith, to be so stalwart with faith that you become almost indestructible. In hindsight, after fasting for a month from WoW, I feel that I was closer to God while I played WoW.

WoW is/was one of my few "enjoyable" social interactions.

Back