graphics cards = RIPOFF!

satjome

I can't believe it !! you might as well buy a new computor. A video card that supports hardware T&L (or supports directX 9.0 costs a MINIMUM of $150 and that cool ATI RADEON 9800 is the ONLY graphics card that supports half life 2 at full support and it costs a rediculus $600! I CANT BELIEVE IT!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

uhmm, don't know where you do your shopping, but I can get dx 9 cards for 120, and te radeon 9800 xt I can get for 450ish. Anyways, HL2 will have very low sys specs, as in a gf2 32 mb with a p3 700mhz, but you will not get that good of quality of gfx, but buying a new system will not necessarily give you a full dx9 compatible machine, as in those cards will not be in any lower priced systems.

I think 9600 does support HL2.. infact, most of the Radeon cards will support HL2.. if it was only supported by 9800, Half-life would barely be sold.

Oops
rock.gif
any way radeon 9000 and up and a few other cards support it too i guess(but i still don't want HL2 because it probably will need like 10 GB HD space

naw, ive used pci gfx cards in the past, ugh, slow, even for back then, replaced it with the agp version, it was a gfx mx 200, not that good of a card, but the pci was much worse then the agp, sides, the 8x agp is pretty dang fast.

I have the ATI Radeon 9500 Pro...works great for games now.  The 9600 XT is supposed to be a little faster, and has the "built in" overclocking (correct me if I'm wrong, I think that's the new OverDrive feature of the drivers).  Benchmarks seem pretty good with that card, and I believe it is around $200 (used to come with a free HL2 coupon; not sure if it still does).

The 9600 Pro is also good.  It's not quite as fast as the 9500 Pro, unless it's overclocked, in which case it might be able to surpass it.

Ebay has CHEAP video cards. i may get a radeon 9200 for $65,the retail is 213 BUCKS! (or a radeon 9600 for $85, retails at around $400 and a radeon 9800 for a mere $110, retail = a rediculus $512

uhm, a 9200 is not that expensive at retail, and a 9600 at most is 250, usually more like 200 tho, and the prices at ebay are usually just the current high bid, and the cards could be used or refurbished, and you will not always get everything that comes with the retail, usually no software package. Be leary when buying parts on ebay unless you research the sellers past reputation for what he/she has sold. do a froogle.google.com search for low prices, usually works.

satjome, where on earth do you do your shopping?

Check out Bizrate. Even if you'd prefer not to buy online, it will give you a good idea of reasonable prices.

A ati radeon 9200 for $47and bizrate doesn't sell 9200's and that is the highest and cheapest that is compatible with my computor :http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2780983804&category=3762

I got a ti4200 128 for 150 quid ($200ish) over a year ago in the UK. And HL2 will not be 10gig try 3 at most. Reading through these post some of you guys really should brush up on you soft/hardware knowledge.

let me guess... my tnt2 probably wont run it? Right? ;_;
My PC isnt bad besides that... For the winter i borrowed a graphics card that was in my grandpa's computer because he's out of town... that gets me about 2x the fps. otherwise i have an AMD 1.3 for my processor which is nice. And then a Maxisound Muse from about when i got the TNT2. The soundcard is still nice though. Works well! when I used the intergrated mic slot on the MB it was all garbled but now the Mic works fine... a bit quiet though.

Back