grrr

Atown

Christian Gamers Alliance Amazon Store Manager
Staff member
ok i want to do the automated product update thingy, and each time i try and start the download it says " your internet connection is not valid. check your settings and try again" . y is my connection invalid and which settings do i check??

the auto update programs dont always work, sierras are the worst of them all, and thats who published HL, so just go get a dowload elsewhere, or do it thru steam (ugh)

ah man, im getting steam but its a long story and a big maybe. hope the updates arent as big as steam itself

you can only get up to version 1.5 CS and HL 1.1.0.8 without steam, and if ou plan on doing multiplayer, I would recommend steam unless you want to be playing against a bunch of n00bs that dont know how to update it. I personally dont like steam, and its caused me to altogether stop playing CS, but I perfer RTCW/ET iver it anyhow. I still play the old non-steam version of DoD now and then, a lot of the old version 1.0b servers are still running that
smile.gif

er whats version 1.1.0.8?? i just buaght the half-life game of the year edition.

You just got it? Congrats! It's a fantastic game.

I'm not sure I ever used the auto-update feature. It's been so long though, perhaps I did.

go to filefront or fileplanet (in the morning EST if you want a good dl speed) and grab the lastest non-steam version Half-life patch, which, i checked, i was wrong before, is 1.1.1.0, that is, if you want to play it online, get the CS 1.5 and DoD 1.0b Mods for free if you want decent multiplayer. If your not going to to do the multiplayer, you dont need any updates, unless you want to buy blue shift to get the high-def content pack, then you'll need to update to 1.0.0.9 or later to run it, if Im not mistaken. too many numbers, lol

hmm ok thanks. and what does dod stand for?

k.. u guys got the versions all wrong..

HL(half-life) latest version compatible for CS(counter-Strike) 1.5, is 1.1.1.0
dod is Day of Defeat, another Modification of Half-life, like CS
smile.gif

whats the diffrence between 1.6 and 1.5 steams?

Uhmm flash, read my last post, it says 1.1.1.0 and 1.5, i had the HL wrong the first time, thats what the new one was when I got the goty edition, but forgot i updated it afterwards when the new patches came out.

1.6 is steam, 1.5 ins non-steam, btw. 1.6 has a few features, nothing terribly interesting, that 1.5 does not.

darn it, u posted right before me.. i hadn't seen the post before i posted mine.
tounge.gif
gg

1.6 and steam.. bah.. too much bugs and stuffs. People don't like steam, sticks to 1.5 There are plenty more 1.5 players, so ur good.

however, despite the fact that 1.6 is with steam, it has better graphics (depending on ur vid card), new weapons/new maps, etc. however, once in a while i go into 1.5
smile.gif

Back