GW2 - BETA

Prophet Elhanan

An important quote from Martin Kerstein about Beta.

Ok, to clarify a couple of points:

We purposely didn’t use the term “Open Beta”, we mentioned Beta Events. To some people Open Beta means unlimited access to the game and everybody on the interwebs can play it. This is not what we will do.

We will do Beta Weekend Events. Those of you who played Guild Wars might already be familiar with the concept. It means that many of you (like the blogpost says) will get a chance to participate in specific Events, but access won’t be unlimited – there will be some kind of selection criteria and the beta period will usually start on a Friday and end on the following Sunday.

I hope this helps.

It doesn't help! It doesn't tell me what weekends I have to tell my friends and family I'm going to be sick! This just tells me to get a reoccurring cold rather than Mono.

World Versus World PVP? Yes, I want this right now

Guild Wars 2's World versus World player-versus-player system is bound to draw the attention of players that never joined a PVP queue in their lives. Every two weeks three game servers are linked together in mortal combat, fighting for control of resources and control points in a battle that means big rewards for both the victors and their respective server.

Taking place on one giant map split up into four sub-sections, one for each of the three teams and a neutral zone called the Eternal Battlegrounds, World versus World involves hundreds of players at a time swarming from point to point, vying for control. Players new to PVP combat will revel in the safety-in-numbers aspect of the game mode, while seasoned battlers can seize the opportunity to coordinate and command their newbie forces to victory.

Dominate the maps and you'll not only win personal rewards, but boons for everyone on your particular server, such as increased experience gain or faster health regen. You could be personally responsible for leveling up an entire server.

Or you could just hide in the back and enjoy the show. Your choice.
Source: Ten Things I Learned From the Guild Wars 2 Beta Weekend

Last time around, this was called "Realm vs. Realm."

...But I don't care what they're calling it. I want in.

Is their news yet on how one without any specific Anet connections can take part in these Beta options? I'm assuming they'll have sign-ups on the website relatively soon, but I haven't heard anything other than semi-public beta weekends are scheduled soon.

This is seriously going to cripple my ToR and ME3 playtime..

Is their news yet on how one without any specific Anet connections can take part in these Beta options? I'm assuming they'll have sign-ups on the website relatively soon, but I haven't heard anything other than semi-public beta weekends are scheduled soon.

This is seriously going to cripple my ToR and ME3 playtime..

They did say March and April Beta testing will be open to the public but their is a currently undisclosed signup process. You are correct in that the Open Beta sign-ups will be on the GW2 website pretty sure that is all we know right now though. I know I'll be using all 10 of my email address to try and get in. lol

Last edited:
Last edited:
Must...maintain...personal GW2 media blackout.

/me faints

Also, your signature is ginormous. Might want to trim it a bit.

EDIT: And I find it very unfair that I've been leading an online gaming group for almost 13 years and I didn't get a GW2 beta invite. :p

Fixed! :)

And just found another WvW video. This is is much larger. Doesn't look like we will see many even fights in the Press Beta though. http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/02/20/guild-wars-2-world-vs-world-pvp
This video really reinforces the strength in number adage.

With the new GW2 news, I'm now speculating around the same time the original Guild Wars came out: late April.

This means I need a new pc sooner than expected :)

I loved the reviews, as well - GW2 looks great.

There is one line that is easy to overlook at the end of the Kotaku review:

As much as I would love to be able to plunge right back into the world of Tyria, ArenaNet still has plenty of work ahead of them before Guild Wars 2 is ready for launch.

I'll be getting really excited when someone says finally, "...Soon."

Definately looking forward to it. Already got my 50/50 and GWAMM done in prep, and helping a guildie through the last continent of vqs. However, I do know my time will be cut short or non-existent if it's an April release: the wife and I are expecting our first around the 17th :) At least I'll have a valid excuse ;)

Back