Help for a PC newb

Brydon

Legacy of Elijah Officer
Hey, I'm new to playing BF-BC2 from my computer... I got into the game on PS3... And I'm having a little trouble.

I'm having ugly "rubber-banding," where I keep walking over the same stretch of ground 3 times in a row. I've been seeing it on other players too where they disappear over here and reappear over there.

I don't know what causes this. I just got a new computer, and it should be fine. Does this have something to do with my connection? my settings? the server? Any advice for fixing this?

I also once got kicked off a server for "having more than 400 ping." I have no idea what that is... but presume it is connection related.

I haven't played online shooters since Quake. So I would really appreciate any tips or advice any of you could give.

It's a connection issue. What type of speed is your internet? Broadband? DSL? Cable?

First I would see if anyone is downloading. While a ping of about 120 is acceptable (at least to Alaskans, low is better), when you start hitting 200 ping, you'll rubberband, skip around, miss shots, etc. This is what ruins the gaming experience. If the downloads are off but you're gaming is still choppy, talk to your ISP to see about fixing the problem.

I've got ATT broadband (I guess). It's supposed to be pretty fast (I'm certainly paying enough for it).

First I would see if anyone is downloading.... If the downloads are off...

I'm not sure what this means in BC or how to check it.

If you mean something outside of the game, I'm the only one in my house. Norton AV might be checking something online periodically, but not enough to be the consistent problem that I'm having.

Is there a way to check my ping within the game and see what my stats are?
Does Windows 7 have any tools for improving this?

Also, I'm wireless... I assume that affects things. Is it just impossible to play wireless? I haven't had problems playing Guild Wars and the like in the past.

Thanks again for your help.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

To see your general connection speed.

As for in-game, hold Tab I think it is for BC2, the scoreboard will pop up, pings would be on the right of your name, should be around 100s or so.

And if you have neighbors, they may be soaking up your bandwidth if you're running an insecure network (sometimes without knowing). Try plugging an Ethernet cable from your router to your laptop, see if that fixes the problem. Oooor, it may be your router (which I know very little about) that could be slowing your connection.

Or maybe the server you're playing on is just awful.

Do you have these issues on all servers you join? Or just some?

Thanks guys,

Now I know where to look, it looks like I usually have a ping around 130-140. Good? Not so good?

And then I'm noticing that in the server browser, some of the servers show a ping, sometimes around 200ish. How do these interact? Is it mine plus the servers?

The whole matter is complicated by the fact that I also am not very good at the game.

I would love to join you guys on Friday, if that's cool, under the theory that it's better to be shot by friends than punk kids :)

I'm with Brydon - I got booted because my ping was in th4e 400 range.

I am on a secure network - so no neighbors horning in. I have ATT DSL - their top of the line.

I have zero problems playing Guild Wars, but BC2 was getting clogged last night. First, slow reaction times - not able to shift-run - then got the big, "C'ya" from the game and I was out.

I'm planning to come along one Friday night - still trying to learn the controls right now. Looking forward to getting to know the BC2 people in the alliance.

Back