Help my wife and me find a game we can play together

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
My wife and I were both surprised that she enjoyed WoW as much as she did. I expected that my mixed feelings for the game would persist (and they did), but her enjoyment of the game makes more sense when I consider how much we enjoy playing Soma Bringer, a Nintendo DS action RPG title in the vein of Secret of Mana, together.

Now my love/hate relationship with WoW grows even more complicated. I want to play a computer game with my wife and it was fun to play WoW together, but I still have my hangups with MMOs (i.e. monthly fee, no real endpoint, lower ratio of time to fun ratio than in first-person shooters, little to nothing you can do with smaller segments of time, etc.).

So now I come to the point of this thread: I'm looking for suggestions from the community for games my wife and I can play and enjoy together.

The first page of this thread is likely going to include a lot of replies where I say that she's not interested in that title or she doesn't like that style of game. To prevent some of those posts, I'm going to outline some popular genres and titles she doesn't care for:

First-person shooters. Unfortunate, I know. She's still willing to give Team Fortress 2 a shot, but she's starting from scratch when it comes to learning how to play a FPS game and she, like me, isn't fond of learning curves (and understandably so; who has the time for learning curves in games these days?).

Subscription-based MMOs. This is more my list item than hers. Let's face it: If we're going to pick a MMO to spend 15 bucks a month on, it's going to be WoW. Despite all my nitpicks about the game's design, it still has the most immediately accessible gameplay, the most expansive and beautiful world, and it's significantly more popular than any other MMO.

Even when I went back for 30 days, I was spread across 4 guilds on 4 realms. I would never lack for guilds to join. Finding players with lower level characters to quest with while my wife and I are leveling? That's an entirely different story. (Seriously, every WoW player must have like 3 level 80s. There's not even any point in trying to find a group under level 70 unless you can find guildmates with low-level alts.)

Real-time strategy. Also unfortunate. I had hoped my love of StarCraft would be contagious. I am sad to say that it was not. And if she doesn't like StarCraft--which she owns a copy of--I have little hope for any other RTS title.

Madballs in... Babo:Invasion. Oh well. At least it was only $2 during the Steam holiday sales.

Now to help give you all an idea of what we're looking for (because, frankly, we're trying to figure that out ourselves), here are a few games we've played together and enjoyed:

Soma Bringer. One of the few and arguably the best action RPG game released for the Nintendo DS, Soma Bringer was never published in the US and made playable only through a translation patch--which I still argue is a huge mistake on Nintendo's part. Nevertheless, this game is about as obscure as you get. Imagine crossing Secret of Mana with the good parts of Diablo II (read: not the carpal tunnel syndrome) and you can understand why I was eager to try it out--and why I thought my wife would hate it. Much to my surprise, she not only didn't hate it, but she really liked it. This only proved that it's pretty much impossible to predict my wife's tastes in games.

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles. Another surprise hit. I had rented the game back when I had 3 free rentals a month from Hollywood Video, asked her to try it out with me, and expected her to hate it. We cleared a level or two, turned off the Wii, and, much to my surprise, she expressed an interest in playing it with me again the next day. Eventually, we ended up buying the game and still play it on occasion.

Side note: So for all the haters saying there aren't any decent M-rated games on the Wii or there aren't any decent third-party games on the Wii or there aren't any decent on-rails shooters for the Wii: You are wrong. Madworld and House of the Dead Overkill tanked for a reason. Umbrella Chronicles, on the other hand, has sold over a million copies.

Mario Kart 64. Not Mario Kart Wii. Anyone who has played both Mario Kart titles should understand why.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time. I don't know if this one ranks because of gameplay so much as nostalgia, but we did play it together and had fun.

All other attempts at finding another brawler my wife likes, with the exception of Streets of Rage 2 (which, for me, remains the greatest brawler ever), have been unsuccessful. I mean, after SoR2, where do you go? That's like starting at the pinnacle. But I digress.

And I think that's a massive enough wall of text for one post. Even for me.

EDIT: And if you have a suggestion along the lines of Neverwinter Nights or a similar game, please share. I was thinking NWN might be a good fit, but I'm not sure about the particulars or what alternatives are available.

EDIT #2: Man, I wish Torchlight had multiplayer.

Last edited:
You may want to mention which systems you have Tek. For current systems you have a Wii and pc right? A few Co-op games that I've heard of are...

1. Super Mario Bros Wii. From what I've seen the game is quite easy even without co-op help. I'd imagine it's even shorter with co-op.

2. Metal Slug: I always wanted to try it with my Father but never got around to it. There is an Anthology available for the Wii so you should be able to get quite a bit of gameplay out of it.

3. Marvel Ultimate Alliance: Although according to a review the wii version is the weakest of the console bunch with annoying wii controls and no online play.

4. You've got Guitar Hero right? Maybe one of those Rock Band games?

5. Forget video games and play "House". You might not get stuck being the girl character for once Tek! :p

If you have a PS2 there are supposedly better versions of Metal Slug and MUA on it. To bad Borderlands has secure rom it may have been perfect if she liked mmorpg loot drops and wanted to learn how to play an FPS without enemy players :( .

Last edited:
Metal Slug Anthology rocks. ^___^

And I second the Borderlands idea.

LEGO Star Wars collection?

Maybe 2 player retro games off Wii's download service?

Buy a 360 and get Castle Crashers, Viva Pinata...

or learn to knit together. /shrugs

Tek, I know they are working on mods for torchlight for multiplayer like here.

Plus, I think the release of NWN2 is coming up this year, if I'm not mistaken.

Warhammer Online is free to play in Tier1. There is a TON of fun to be had in tier1, like many months worth.

Champions Online is free to play till lvl 15. There is a lot of fun to be had up to 15.

You could try an ultima online free shard. They seem to be legal due to the mass amount. Delete this if they are illegal.

You know, if you find something that helps grow and strengthen your marriage, that $15-30 a month becomes an investment rather than a consumption cost, and possibly one of the best investments you can make in your life, so when you consider it that way the cost-to-benefit ratio shifts a bit.

As for other games without recurring costs, Diablo and Guild Wars come to mind, but I know you've already given Guild Wars a try. Neverwinter Nights, not sure if you're talking 1 or 2, they're both good as far as the games go if you don't mind D&D character complexity and unforgivablility, and they would also give an added benefit of allowing you to pursue some game design, too, if you wanted, but the controls suck once you have gotten used to WoW which kind of dampens the play experience.

Another thing to consider is pacing as well, like is there a difference in your play styles and how fast or slow you guys like to play? If one of you likes fast constant and spontaneous action while the other likes slower, more cautious, exploratory, or thoughtful play, which may be the case if you like RTS's and she doesn't, you have to figure out how to accomodate that while still both having a good time. MMO's are probably the best bet for this, but you can try to do this somewhat with RTS's to see if it makes a difference. Basically make a map where you place yourself between her and the rest of the action to allow her to play at her own pace while you still have plenty to do yourself and that might help.

I would suggest Guild Wars to be honest Tek. you can pick up the original 3 campaigns for less than $40 per person, you both can play together from the start of the game and you never have to pay another fee again...

I would suggest Guild Wars to be honest Tek. you can pick up the original 3 campaigns for less than $40 per person, you both can play together from the start of the game and you never have to pay another fee again...

And that's what makes Guild Wars so appealing to me.....no monthly fees.

First-person shooters. Unfortunate, I know. She's still willing to give Team Fortress 2 a shot, but she's starting from scratch when it comes to learning how to play a FPS game and she, like me, isn't fond of learning curves (and understandably so; who has the time for learning curves in games these days?).

Has she played though half life 2? I would recommend doing that if she hasn't. HL1 might be a bit harsh...I remember the last levels were, um interesting. At the very least that will help her develop decent mouse/eye coordination. TF2 is pretty harsh on new players. Until you develop strategies for dealing with most classes you will simply be plaster on the wall whenever someone sees you.

1.) Guild Wars had too little content, and not much of a challenge, for me is was bore-fest...and it isn't an MMO, which makes me not want to play it...(for the last 10 years I really only play MMOs, so I am kinda biased here)...

2.) We got New Super Mario Bros. for Christmas, and my wife loves it, but I found it easier than pouring a glass of milk...got boring very fast...

2 cents from me... :)

1.) Guild Wars had too little content, and not much of a challenge, for me is was bore-fest...and it isn't an MMO, which makes me not want to play it...(for the last 10 years I really only play MMOs, so I am kinda biased here)...

GW, aside from having horrible account security and support is:

- A twitchfest - If your healer lags for even a few seconds your dead.
- LFG - That about sums up most of your day. Waiting 10 years to get into a decent group. Don't even mention the bots, they suck.

GW, aside from having horrible account security and support is:

- A twitchfest - If your healer lags for even a few seconds your dead.
- LFG - That about sums up most of your day. Waiting 10 years to get into a decent group. Don't even mention the bots, they suck.

Considering that i have played and defeated all 4 campaigns with bots only and only a few instances of actually playing with real people, its not really that hard to do. A lot is simply learning how to play correctly.

I have only a few times ever had to wait for a group. ;)

Shouldn't there be a main focus to his wife?

What kind of games does she like?

What games has she played the present and past?

What type of games she enjoys most?

The attempts from Tek7 were unfortunately, his games.

What are her games, is the main idea.

I agree with Eskimo - that is pretty much what I did, as well.

I've completed all four campaigns with one character - but I have completed several campaigns with other characters. There is a big difference when you use your elementalist vs your warrior vs your monk.

I have NEVER waited for a group. That is why I joined a guild. I play mostly by myself with heroes and henchies. When you choose wisely these are almost always enough. When they are not I go to the guild and get some help. I quit doing PUG's because they were more frustrating than helpful. I got to where I figured if someone had not formed or joined a guild - they were probably not someone I would enjoy playing with.

Some missions or quests may be a bit tedious - but I have never been bored. I can see how it is boring if you spend your time LFG - why bother. I have had hours of fun - actually years of fun - and still have not done all there is to do. And that is AFTER completing all four campaigns.

Also - Guild Wars is ideal for family and friend play. You are not warring each other - you are helping each other AND people of different levels can easily play together.

.... you could try toontown.... I just don't know how you would like playing with all the kids under 12, there are some adult groups though.... and if you want one like it, there is wizard 101....

I know adults who enjoy it (I know one in my church who likes it). Though I personally don't.

Last edited:
As for MMO, I will third Guild Wars. Really, GW1 is more of an online co-op game than an MMO, per se. I don't care that it is free to play (agree that $15 is a cheap investment), but I do care that because it's free - it's built differently. There isn't any required grind/40 man raids/etc. Since you've tried that already, I'm guessing it's out.

Question for you: does your wife tend to enjoy things when there is more of a "story" to them? I know that's how my wife is. Also, I'm assuming she's more of the co-op player? Lastly, are we looking exclusively at Wii/PC? Anyway, onto some suggestions...I'm not sure if you have a PS2 but I'll include some of those.

Some RPG Brawlers - kill lots of stuff, pick up lots of loot, all great games with a decent story:
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1&2 (Gamecube(Wii)/PS2/Xbox)
Champions of Norrath (PS2)
Champions: Return to Arms (PS2)
Castle Crashers (360/coming soon to PS3)
Do you have Secret of Mana on the virtual console?
Seconding Marvel Ultimate Alliance from above, I just picked up #2

"On Rails" shooters:
House of the dead (Wii)
Dead Space: Extraction (Wii)

Kart Racing:
Have you tried MK: Double Dash? A lot of people didn't like this one, but it was my wife's and my favorite. Co-op grand prix is a blast, we played it forever.
Modnation Racers (coming soon to PS3) looks like Mario Kart and Little Big Planet are having a baby.

One last note:
I am going to credit Resistance: The Fall of Man (PS3) with getting Brittany into playing FPS. You can play the whole campaign co-op, and she decided she wanted to play with me because she got hooked on the story immediately. The game itself is great, too.

Now, we've been playing Resistance 2 online co-op since it came out, and love it. The co-op mode for R2 was modeled after an MMO - there's medic, soldier, and spec ops classes that all have to work together. Now I have her asking me to play instead of the other way around. :)

I also like that you can have two people online split screen on one PS3 without having to pay anything, haha.

Second last note:
Co-optimus.com is your friend. Every game listed on there is co-op, and they'll tell you about the experience there...how many can play on one console, whether you can play campaign stuff, drop-in/drop out, etc.

Last edited:
Shouldn't there be a main focus to his wife?

What kind of games does she like?

What games has she played the present and past?

What type of games she enjoys most?

The attempts from Tek7 were unfortunately, his games.

What are her games, is the main idea.

Nah, he just went through some of the most familiar ones that I have and haven't liked. The ones he listed toward the end of the post are ones that I legitimately enjoyed on my own. If they're "his" games, it's because I don't always have to motivation to go out and find games by myself, but when I see him playing one that looks fun, or he tells me about one that he thinks I might be interested in, I'm all about trying it out.

A not-so-brief history of Ember's gaming (if you can even call it that):
Early childhood: Duck Hunt; watching my cousins play Mario on NES, watching my cousins play Zelda on NES. A lot of games I was happier watching since I was really bad at them by myself.

(aside: it's kind of depressing seeing everyone say how easy Mario Bros games are--even though I have long known it's true--but it's amazing how fail I am at platformers...I can set records with how quickly I can lose lives...I just end up tense and frustrated because it is that bad)

Childhood (after my brother was old enough to play too): Turtles in Time (we loved playing this together, so yeah it might be some nostalgia, but it is still a good brawler), Super Mario World (little brother was still little, so he'd do most of the actual playing while I solved the puzzles for ghost houses, found hidden stuff, played a few early levels over and over so I could give him my lives =P), played Street Fighter II badly (I didn't know how to do special moves...didn't even cross my mind to do a quarter circle or hit more than one button at a time, haha), had a lot of fun playing Mario Kart on the SNES together; watched my brother play some other stuff like Megaman.

Oh, and we had original Gameboys that we mostly just played Tetris and a few other things. The one Mario franchise platformer I did enjoy playing and didn't completely fail at was Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins, which was on the Gameboy. Though I never did get through the castle at the end ;_;

Later when we got a N64, I pretty much played Mario Kart 64 exclusively. I haven't found ANY racing games I like other than Mario Kart ones. Even if they're supposed to be the same. Even Mario Kart Wii, as Tek stated, is just too frustrating to be fun most of the time.

After that, didn't really do any video games for years.

In college (Tek and I were already dating), my brother talked about how he'd seen a Sega Dreamcast used somewhere for cheap and he wished he'd bought it. So I got him one off ebay for Christmas that year. Then I thought hey, I want one too. So I got one for myself. Tek thought it was awesome. I had no idea what would be so awesome about it, but it turns out to be a really fun system. Played Soul Calibur on it, which I already figured I'd find fun since I enjoyed playing Soul Calibur II when I'd go to Oklahoma to visit Tek. (note: I like Soul Calibur games, but I don't like to play Tekken or Street Fighter games) Also played some good puzzle games. I love puzzle games, but we need some variety too.

As you can see, PC games did not even show up on the radar until more recent years. Until recently, we (we as in my family) never had computers that could handle it anyway. Tek already mentioned some of the games we play and enjoy now.

To answer the question about what systems we have available:
Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Wii, Nintendo DSLs, PCs

We play the Wii and DS most as far as games we play together. He has highlighted some of the ones we play on there. Wii we like Rayman Raving Rabbids games, but those you just play for a session and you're done with it...there's no real goal or anything ongoing. I like the on-rails Resident Evil shooters. I like Boom Blocks once in a while.

DS I play crosswords (yeh, I'm a dork), Planet Puzzle League before I fizzled out, Soma Bringer which Tek described, enjoyed Hotel Dusk but that's over and I'm not in a hurry to replay...just to name a few.

PC games, yeh, the one I've liked the best so far is WoW. Never thought it would happen that way, but it did.

Anyway, it's not so bad for him to at least try to get me to play his games. It just means he wants me involved in the things he finds fun. I think it's nice, even if it doesn't always work. I do have an open mind about games because there are lots that I haven't tried yet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, Ember. It seems to me that you tend to prefer the arcade/platform/puzzle type of games. Also, you both mentioned Wii, but didn't list it in your consoles. A few suggestions for the Wii:
The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Wii + DS or DS + DS)

Also, if you do have a Wii, do you have gamecube controllers? You might like Zelda: Four Swords adventures and I'd definitely recommend Mario Kart: Double Dash.

Have you played the new Mario Brothers game? It's very fun co-op, albeit very hectic at times. It can be difficult at times, but you can hop into an invincible bubble and float towards your co-op partner if you get into too much trouble.

A lot of games I was happier watching since I was really bad at them by myself.

There's nothing wrong with this either. While my husband are both pretty into gaming and a lot of times the same games, we have completely different playstyles that don't always mesh well together, so we found that a lot of times it's easier and more fun to spend some time where he plays and I watch and give input and help solve puzzles and such. It's still time spent together and it also offers the advantage of opening up all kinds of single player gaming experiences to share, too.

Back