How do I know whether or not I have sinned?

the_great_eskimo_pie

Former Official Thread Killer
In this day and age, it is hard for some beleivers to know whether or not they have sinned. So how does one tell if s/he has sinned?

I look at the way culture has changed over the years and it makes me wonder.. Crap used to be considered a "bad word" anymroe it is the normal part of most everyone's vocabulary. (At least the people I know... Even Christians.)

F--- is still a faux pah to say, well except in rap, movies and cable television.

A lady wearing her dress high enough to show her ankles was scandalous at one point in time. Now, girls and guys wear their pants so low that you can see their underwear. An object that was only supposed to be seen after a couple was married.

With the change in culture, has sin changed as well? Does a word become no longer sinful to say after it is accepted by everyone (including Chritians)

From what I can tell, it does not. Also, whether or not something is sin is between that person and God. (Referring back to the Secular music thread.)

But if you go that route with regards to sin in general, that means that sin is subjective to the individual. So how can anyone technically sin?

Everything that is not of faith is sin..

It it Live, or is it memorex?

God (The Holy Spirit) comes to reveal sin, righteousness and judgement..

The sin, is that men loved the world so much as to shrink from death
The Righteousness is Jesus
And the judgment is everything that is not Jesus..

I had to sit on this one for a bit before I felt I had an adequate answer.

As for showing underwear, ankles, and tubetops... look in the Bible. If you can't find an answer in your Bible about it, then the rules are set forth by man. Man said women should dress in this manner, or you should comb your hair that way....

Also keep in mind that the Bible tells us that if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. If an action causes your brother to lose faith, don't do it.

But weigh your choices in any situation against this: Your body is a temple. Don't disrespect the temple. Keep your temple cleared of things that will cause you or your brother to sin or lose faith. If you find dirt in the corner, sweep it up.

Made the edit for ya. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess if you feel guilty about something or not...

yes, i know, my argument doesn't hold much water.

So feeling guilty for eating the last cookie means that eating that cookie is a sin?

I don't think that feelings are a good judge of whether or not something is a sin or not.

I had to sit on this one for a bit before I felt I had an adequate answer.

As for showing underwear, ankles, and tubetops... look in the Bible. If you can't find an answer in your Bible about it, then the rules are set forth by man. Man said women should dress in this manner, or you should comb your hair that way....

Also keep in mind that the Bible tells us that if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. If an action causes your brother to lose faith, don't do it.

But weigh your choices in any situation against this: Your body is a temple. Don't disrespect the temple. Keep your temple cleared of things that will cause you or your brother to sin or lose faith. If you find dirt in the corner, sweep it up.

Made the edit for ya. :)

I like your answer. :) However, at what point will I know these things? At what point do I know that I am causing my brother (or sister. ;) )to lose faith?

Where do you feel the most pain when someone does you wrong and I don't mean being beat you up or stubbing your toe. Your heart is the center of "you" and is where you let Jesus in and if your heart aches for help it will be given ,if it aches for forgiveness then it also will be forgiven, We think as the world taught us but we need to think like God is teaching us and that is to use our heart the center of each one of us as he is the center of us.

So feeling guilty for eating the last cookie means that eating that cookie is a sin?

I don't think that feelings are a good judge of whether or not something is a sin or not.

If you're overindulging, then yes.

I like your answer. However, at what point will I know these things? At what point do I know that I am causing my brother (or sister. )to lose faith?

well, take the clothing for example. If a female knowingly dresses provocatively, she is potentially causing a brother to struggle. Men (typically, but not always) are weak and drawn to women that wear things that reveal their figure. I'm not saying that women need to wear a showercurtain, but they might want to think twice before putting on something too loose, tight, thin, or revealing.

Guys may want to reconsider wearing speedos. Although it's less likely that women are drawn to the visual aspects of every man walking down the street.

Perhaps another example that may work...while it's not a sin to drink (again, not to indulgance, but say a glass of wine with dinner - it has some health benefits)... so you have a friend over for dinner. Imagine that your friend is a recovering alcoholic. Should you drink in front of him or offer him a drink? Absolutely not!

It is in that manner that you should judge your own actions.

I think that knowing what is sin isn't important. Trying not to sin is pointless, for the same reason the negative reinforcement doesn't work as well as positive reinforcement. Picking out sins is attacking the symptoms rather then the source of a problem. When we spend our time trying to find sins and tearing our hair out over them, I think we're missing the point of the New Covenant.

I believe that if I focus instead on loving God and loving people, studying His Word and practising what it teaches, I will grow closer to God. As a result of an intimate relationship with our Lord and Savior, I will sin less. At the very least I will be more receptive to the conviction that the Holy Spirit provides.

So don't ask how not to sin, but how to love God, and your brothers and sisters. "Let no one then seek his own good and advantage and profit, but rather each one of the other, let him seek the welfare of his neighbor." (1 Corinthians 10:24)

I feel like I cheated by begging the question, but it just seemed to me that you were working from an awkward position. The way I see it, acts of sin aren't bad just because they're the wrong thing to do, anything that a person does changes who they are. So sinning hurts ourselves more then anything else, because it makes us a person who is further from God. God loves them, but they can't appreciate His love because of their sin. That's what I think Hell is, knowing God's love but having the full and constant knowledge of all my own sins between me and that love. Knowing that forgiveness is there for the asking and hating myself too much to ask.

I'm not saying you're wrong to ask what's sin, but I don't want you to get frustrated or beat yourself up over something if you don't absolutely need to.

Originally Posted by Zeena said:
Everything that is not of faith is sin..
But how do I tell the differance?
You will know by the fruit :)
Luke 4:21
And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.
Romans 8:4
That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Galatians 5:14
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Romans 10:4
For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
But I'll say this much..If you believe you have recieved the Life of Jesus as your own, then continue in that belief!

Rightousness is practiced..
In other words, it "feels" very unnatural at first, but these "feelings" lessen with practice :)

But when I first accepted Jesus into my life, I had a whole lumberyard full of planks in my eyes. I was able to look and say "I'm not going to do this anymore" and "I'm going to stop doing that" and I did. Because I knew that I shouldn't have been doing them before, and if I wanted to be right with the Lord, I had to stop. Now I'm down to just a chord of wood to get out of my eye. I've come so far, but I've still got soooooo far to go.

It wasn't always easy, and there's been a few times that I've stumbled over various changes... and *that* is where you have to learn to let go...to not beat yourself up.

When you screw up, just say "Lord, I'm sorry, I goofed up again. Please forgive me and help me change so I'll stop doing that." Then move on, knowing your debt is paid, you've been forgiven, and you've got an awesome friend that's there to help guide you.... and will never turn His back on you.

basically it bottoms down to this, in one of the youthgroups that i attend (also trying to switch into the church), if it could make someone stumble (we have a joke about literally), if its questionable, don't wear it.

but as in means of other things, if it comes between you and God, during your devotions or something, it would be good to try to stop whatever it is, and try again. find out if its coming between your relationship. also, prayer is very good. read matthew 11:24 our christian club verse for this year.

also, obviously, asking someone else would be very good. maybe someone who is more mature or more discerning than you. =)

i see it like gaming, it kinda depends on your convictions. there are some non-existant sins like drinking wine that people ahve hang ups on even when its not scriptural. but io think wishan spelled it out well

Back