How would you spend $50 in the PSN store?

ewoksrule

I got the Playstation Visa card recently. This netted me a free year of PSN Plus and $50 in my PSN wallet.

Sooooooooo
Spend it all in one place? (Ni no kuni, looking at you!)
Piecemeal it out? (Critter Crunch for $1.40 right now, Might and Magic-clash of heroes for $7.50, From Dust for $7.50)
Save for something epic coming with digital day one release?

How would you spend $50 in the PSN store?

Last edited:
Piecemeal it out? (Critter Crunch for $1.40 right now, Might and Magic-clash of heroes for $7.50, From Dust for $7.50)
Critter Crunch.

Right now.

Seriously, the game is fantastic and $1.40 is a steal.

You can figure out the remaining $48.60 later, but I strongly recommend buying Critter Crunch right away as I don't know how long the sale will last.

Now, on to my second, longer post:

There are many, many great games on PSN, but many of them are also available on Steam for considerably less during sales. I know not everyone (read: hardly anyone) has a gaming rig hooked up to a living room TV, but if you do, I recommend picking up games like Rochard, Renegade Ops, Castle Crashers, and PixelJunk Eden on Steam instead of PSN. ($10 mini Blutooth dongle + MotioninJoy + PS3 controller helps.)

Among the many, many great games on PSN, there are quite a few excellent exclusives (in this context meaning "not also on PC;" some of the games I list are probably also on XBLA) as well. I'm partial to competitive puzzle games (in case it wasn't obvious by my <3 of Critter Crunch), so I would recommend Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix and Tetris in addition to CC.

I've picked up a few gems on sale, like Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix and...Well, okay, there aren't that many good sales on PSN. (I also bought Rochard, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, and the PixelJunk 3-game pack on sale, but all of those games with the exception of 2 of the 3 PixelJunk games are also available on Steam.)

I would recommend against buying full games on PSN for 2 reasons: (1) You can wait 2-6 months for the game disc price to drop like a rock on Amazon and buy it then (wish list + patience = massive savings) and (2) full games take up a big chunk of hard drive space, which may or may not be an issue for me. (I'm a demo addict, so it's an issue for me. Also, I like having at least the option of selling or trading games, even though I haven't actually done it yet.)

If you have a Move (though you probably don't) and if you haven't played Okami on the Wii (and you may have), I strongly recommend Okami HD.

Flower is beautiful and very calming, but you might want to skip buying it on PSN and just pick it up as part of the Journey collection (I forget the exact name of the anthology, but it's Journey along with Flower and other thatgamecompany games) on disc.

I thought Mega Man 9 was excellent when I played it on the Wii, but I haven't played the PSN version.

I've read that Journey and Dyad are amazing, but I haven't played the demos yet.

I did play the demo for Outland and liked it, but not enough to drop $10 or $15 on it. (Steam has warped my expectations of game pricing.)

Dead Nation is pretty meh, IMO.

Super Stardust HD is solid if you like twinstick shooters.

And I'm sure I'm forgetting some other great games, but that's my list for now.

Critter Crunch.

Right now.

Seriously, the game is fantastic and $1.40 is a steal.

You can figure out the remaining $48.60 later, but I strongly recommend buying Critter Crunch right away as I don't know how long the sale will last.

Done!

Thanks Tek will look at those on the list I have not tried. I loved the demo of Journey and Outland. Not sure I will buy those until a deep sale.

I bought the Unfinished Swan a while back when on deep sale, it is a thing of beauty and playing it with my kids watching was such a joy.

Will prob keep an eye out for a move deal. seems like there are some fun games for it.

You gotta try FromDust demo, its really different and great.

Yu-Gi-Oh! just got a new release on PSN this week. Like I said on Facebook, it's really solid if all you wanna do is play YGO matches, unlock cards, modify decks with said cards, repeat. No frills. Duels of the Planeswalkers has spoiled me with respect to presentation expectations. Still, if you like YGO and can deal with the barebones presentation, it's hard to pass it up for ten bucks. I should point out that I don't plan to buy it since I already have it on XBLA and Duel Transer on Wii. :/

I adore Flower. It's one of those games that makes me go "whoa." It's living, breathing, experiential art. It does something in gaming that no other medium can really do.

Since you already have Plus, I'd honestly just nickel and dime your $50 credit on discounted wares. Seriously. Plus will give you so many games, that I wouldn't rush to buy any just cuz you have the money to spend. And what games it doesn't give you may very well end up on sale.

Of course, if you feel the need to add Final Fantasy games to your collection, most of I-IX is half off right now, as well as Tactics. Just throwing it out there.

I agree that more small purchases makes sense.

I picked up Rainbow Moon. Game is totally scratching my old school turn based RPG itch. Quality is high, pacing is perfect so far and its got these "just one more battle" hooks in me.

If Flower is good, I will wait for the combo with Journey to go on sale.

Yeah been eyeing the FF sales but I played them recently on various handhelds. I wish they had the newer ones on sale. I have not played XIII or XIII-2.

Last edited:
I picked up Rainbow Moon. Game is totally scratching my old school turn based RPG itch. Quality is high, pacing is perfect so far and its got these "just one more battle" hooks in me.
I do not know this game. I'm gonna hafta check this out. Thanks for the heads up. ^_^

Beeteedubs: Persona 3 FES Edition is $10. The game would be a steal at $20. Seriously. Exceptional game. Part old-school JPRG, part roguelike, part social sim, and some hints of Pokemon, with excellent characters and story. I may start it up again today (lost my game save previously; fortunately, I wasn't that far in at the time). Just wouldn't recommend playing it with kids around due to some of the Personae as well as the use of the Evoker (which, for reasons I still don't understand, looks like a gun and is used by pressing it to ones head... yeah... that part is messed).

Last edited:
Yes, great recommendation. I have P3 on the PSP however, and that is a great version as well...so I don't think I will play on the PS3 too. I was tripping the first time he put the gun to his head. "What are you doing, the battle doesn't look that hard?!?

Yeah def check out the demo of Rainbow Moon, great little game.

Guardians of Middle Earth is sucking up some of my time. I had no clue MOBAs could be so enjoyable on a console.

The problem with the US release of Persona 3 FES is that it doesn't include the Japanese voice track (which features superstar voice actors and actresses, very unlike the English voice track, no offense intended).

ewoks: If you're interested in picking up a Move bundle on the cheap and don't already own LBP2 (or if you already do), send me a PM as I have an extra LBP2 Special Edition Move Bundle to sell (Best Buy didn't cancel the order like I asked them to and I figured I could sell it rather than return it).

Something else for you consideration: Zen Pinball 2 tables. :D I think the average price is $2.49 a table or, in some cases, $9.99 for a pack of four tables (such as the Classics and Marvel packs).

Not exactly something that I sit and spend hours playing at a time, but I rather enjoy having a few shiny virtual pinball tables to play here and there. So, I thought I'd suggest it. :)

Back