I'm getting closer to 40, not thrilled with my spec

FiremanThul

The reason I mention 40 is because I'm doing 21/0/30 on my frost mage.. I was talking with reasonable last night and I had put two in permafrost, which I found very useful for leveling until I got frostbite. I still think permafrost may have some benefit to PvP, but I'm not positive on that yet.

I'm somewhat at a loss as to how to complete my frost spec, the arcane spec is rather easy 5 in missles, 5 in concentration, 5 in focus, 2 in wands, 3 in explosion, 1 in presence of mind.

My current frost build is

5/5 frost bolt
4/5 ice shards
2/3 frostbite
2/2 improved nova
2/3 permafrost
3/3 piercing ice
2/2 arctic reach

I'm looking for a build thats good for both pvp and pve, so help me either respec that, or keep that and finish it out to 30.

After reading on improved blizzard, I might actually max permafrost and blizzard.. but how useful is this for both pvp and pve?

Figured I'd chime in here and lend a hand. Keep in mind though, I do love to PvP, however I do not do it on a regular basis so mostly all of my builds are on a PvE standpoint.

With the above said, here is how I would recommend your spec to be at level 40. 0/0/31. The next few levels should max Ice Shards to 5/5 for crit bonus'. While leveling up, grinding, etc, Ice Barrier is great. There is a reason to this, not just an opinion. A frost build slows mobs down, however the damage is not in the same relm as Fire. With that in mind, most mobs will be around 1/2 health when they get on top of you. Sure you could use Frost Nova and run back again, but it is possible for this to be resisted. With that said, pop up Ice Barrier and you do not lose casting time while the mobs are hitting you. It is also a great PvP item to not lose health and helps protect against that nasty shadow priests SW:p.

Once up to level 49, your frost tree should look much like this. 0/0/40 At about this level, you will be getting into instances/raids very soon. Winters Chill is a great help to other Frost Mages and a great help to yourself for crit chances.

Level 60 build should be very similar to this - 10/0/41

If ya need any explanation on why I chose what, in either the Arcane Tree, or in the Frost tree, feel free to ask. I have reasoning behind all of my choices. :p

Take care and best of luck with your mage. It is the best class in the game. hehe

- Chris

Last edited:
If you do choose to go with Improved Blizzard (I loved it when I had it), I strongly reccomend that you do NOT put more than 2 points into it.

Why?

The chill effect from 3/3 Imp Blizz (65%) is more powerful than the chill effect of Cone of Cold (50%). Therefore, after casting a 3/3 Imp Blizz, you cannot reapply a chill effect immediately with CoC to extend kiting. With 2/3 Imp Blizz (50%), you're good to go with immediately re-applying chill effects with CoC.

My 2cp.

For reference:
My PvP 0/21/30 build.
My PvE 0/30/21 build.
I had/have a lot of fun with them both. :)

You're not thrilled because you're a frost mage. Fire mages FTW! :p

I can't give you any help concerning the frost tree, but I will say there is (IMO) absolutely no reason to take PoM if you're a frost mage.

but I will say there is (IMO) absolutely no reason to take PoM if you're a frost mage.

www. wrong. com.org.gov.edu

I have it. The reason I have it is because I have 3/3 in Arcane Instability. PoM is a prereq for Arcane Instability so you HAVE to get it. I actually never ever use PoM, but you have to take it to get Arcane Instability. :-D

This is what I'm thinking about now, a friend had suggested 0/1/50, but I think this might work better

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...050000000000000000000000000005053233122301051

15/0/36

You have much to learn young grass hopper. lol. Lucky for you, Zennen, Durrick, and Reasonable are all very good frost mages and we will be here to help you along your journey. :D

First off, if you're a Frost Mage.....5/5 in Shatter is a MUST. Next, 5/5 in Imp Arcane Missiles is a no no. 0/5 in Imp Arcane Missiles is a yes yes. lol. Arcane Missiles has horrible mana usage. The only time that you should be using this is in raids/instances when you gain Clear Casting. Well, with that in mind, if you are in a group, the agro is on the tank, no you. With that said, there is not a mob hitting you and you have no reason to have 5/5 in Imp Arcane missiles.

Perma Frost also only needs 1 point into it. The reason that you are putting even 1 point into it is for the extra slow to add to Blizzard. Perma Frost is not really ment to help Frost Bolt, it is ment to help Blizzard. One point into Perma Frost and 2 points into Imp Blizzard and you are set to go.

Blizzard can produce frostbite. Hitting the mob over and over and over again with Blizzard will almost always produce it, that is where Shatter comes in to almost guarentee you to crit the mob. This is how the AoE (Area of Effect) grinding comes in with Blizzard, Cone of Cold, Arcane Explosion, and Frost Nova.

I still recommend this build for your level 60. I've had it, and very strongly recommend it. 10/0/41

Frost ftl, Fire ftw! Don't make me have to take out Zenoir ;) Actually, my build on Zenoir is a 28/23/0 (arc/fire/frost). While it has been some time since I have taken Zenoir out, in his prime, there were very few frost mages that kept up in MC. I say that only to say, don't fall into the trap that one build fits all. Experiment, find what works for you.

I like the 10/0/41 build, for some reason I thought clearcasting req'd 10 points in arcane, which is the only reason I put 5 in missles..

First off, if you're a Frost Mage.....5/5 in Shatter is a MUST. Next, 5/5 in Imp Arcane Missiles is a no no. 0/5 in Imp Arcane Missiles is a yes yes.

I still recommend this build for your level 60. I've had it, and very strongly recommend it. 10/0/41

/agree

What he said. :)

Back