Inspirations from WoW: What IS Faith?

Neirai the Forgiven

Christian Guilds List Manager
The intrepid band of rogues, paladins and druids slowly entered the cave. They'd never been here -- in fact, never even heard of this place before. But, according to the words of wow.allakhazam.com, this was the place where a key to defeating the new Zul'Gurub dungeon, the recipe for the famed Greater Nature Protection Potions, would drop.

They killed a slime. Not a single loot.
Another slime. Ooooo! Some 15 copper broken arrows!
More slimes. More arrows and a 8 copper slimy skull.

On and on they fought. Many slimes died under their mighty hands... but no loot, other than some random drops that looked pretty crappy even to the lowbies. Eventually, many of the intrepid band decided that it just wasn't worth being intrepid, and so they left. Only one druid and a paladin were left, and they slogged on.

The recipe drops here, they said. Nine point seven percent of the time. Logic called out, you have killed more than eleven slimes. The recipe doesn't drop here. But they slogged on.

After three hours of grinding, the intrepid band of two emerged from the cavern, clutching their prize, three rather slimey scrolls, each with the recipe for the Greater Nature Protection Potion. Moreover, they had wide grins on their faces -- one of the 8 copper slimey skulls had been found inside a mighty, glistening Helm of Narv, an item so powerful that the slime's corrosive ooze had not been able to break it down.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

It was a warrior. He was a tauren, and he was crossing the bridge over the placid waters of the River Arathor (misnamed -- it is more of a creek) and coming towards the blacksmith's shop that sat on the hill ringed by the river. The three alliance guards watched his approach with mild amusement, although tempered by experience, they did not take him lightly either.

He's wearing gear from AQ40, said the mage. He won't go down too easily. Yeah, said the druid, but we can take him. We've got a healer. He looked at the dwarf priest beside him, who busily began to draw up the runes for a Fear Ward.

With a healer, a dpser, and a feral druid, the defenders were much more than a match for the warrior, even one with the best gear in the game.

Suddenly, however, the dwarf's head pitched forward and a pinkish purple ring appeared above it.

The mage reacted instantly, sending off a ring of blue ice that instantly froze the grass that he was standing on, killing a grasshopper, two ants, a slug, and completely encasing the invisible body of a zombie, an undead rogue. They hadn't seen it coming, and had he not just frozen it, they never would have.

Quickly the druid shifted into a cat and the mage and druid set to quick work on the rogue. Seconds later, the warrior arrived, but instead of defeating the guards, he was repelled.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Inspirations from WoW #3: What is Faith?++++++++++++++++++++
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

What is Faith? This is a question I struggle with a lot. Many people believe that Faith is a 'Christian Power', in the same way that the Force is a 'Star Wars Power'. Let me put it this way --- Often, when praying for a miracle of some sort, I often hear my mind, in a parody of Ben Kenobi, say "Use the faith, John... Use the faith!"

But the Bible doesn't say that faith is an "energy field that surrounds us and that is in all things". Rather, at the beggining of the "Hall of Faith" chapter, it says that faith is two things.

The first thing, which corresponds to my first story of the Recipe Hunters, is that faith is the hope that what God says will come to pass will indeed come to pass. It is really no different than the hope that what Allakhazam says drops off some weird slimes in a cave in the Western Plaguelands will in fact drop off of those slimes.

It is not that hard to have the kind of faith. Any of us who regularly read wow.allakhazam.com or www.thottbot.com have that kind of faith, although not necessarily in God.

So how do we get that faith? Well, by reading the Bible, and then believing that what God says to us will happen.

The second thing that faith is is the evidence of things not seen. Now, that sentence doesn't really make too much sense, so I'll translate it. Faith is the eyes to see the invisible cause of a result that seems to have had no cause. It is kind of like the mage who reacts to his friend being sapped. The rogue had Improved Sap, which made his actions completely invisible, but mage had faith that a rogue had to be the sapper, and therefore he knew where the rogue was and stopped him.

This is kind of faith that sees a malignant cancer go into remission, and rather than simply saying that the cancer on its own went into remission, praises God because it knows that it was God who pulled back the cancer. This is the kind of cancer that sees a difficult, hateful, and miserly boss suddenly have a change of heart and acredits it to God, and not to some evil scheme the boss is working on.

How do we get this kind of faith? Well, pray for God to move. Then, when God moves, open your eyes, remember your prayers, and put 2 and 2 together. Then you will have no choice but to praise Him.

And, next time you are praying, don't struggle to Use The Faith. Instead, remember the promises of God and have faith! It is really easy -- as easy as playing a video game.

Faith: active confidence in the Word of God.

Although I cannot see God or many of the things he is doing, I can get to know Him and His ways through the God-breathed pages of scripture.

We saved by grace, through faith. Blessed are those who believe and have not seen the risen Jesus, nor have we put our finger in the holes in his hands.

The problem I see is that many people are looking for or pretending we have heaven on earth. This world is not disneyland, it is a battleground with an enemy who's name is Satan. He aims to lie, deceive, and destroy - especially those who are propagating this thing called ... faith. Yes have a king, but we are away from our kingdom. The kingdom will come someday but now we live in enemy occupied territory. The king once said "In this world you will have trouble, but take heart I will overcome this world." Someday the king will return and things will be different. More like the heaven we are all looking for.

In the meantime, he wants us to be faithful. Walk by faith and not by sight. Be vessels of the good news, that through faith in Jesus Christ you can be born again into a new life ... one that will never end.

The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to those who are saved it is the power of God. "I am atheist." "I am an agnostic." They are perishing. They still want to be their own God and set their own rules. Not us - we have been forgiven, cleansed, and sent into the world with this thing called the gospel, the good news! We know and follow the one true God.

The faithful are not just nice people. We have a mission, and that mission to live our lives like Jesus. They were called "Christians", and behaved like "little Christs" in Antioch ... and so should we.

Sometimes we do well at this ... other times not so well. Today, let's try to do it well.

In Jesus name,
Demetrius (Kevin)

Another great article John! I've really enjoyed reading them and they've given me some things to think about.

BTW for those of you that are in the least bit curious, the Recipe Hunters were myself and Milostrong... but the PvPers were completely fictional.

While I do believe that any frost mage worth his or her salt would know to frostnova as soon as a sap hit, the story implies that alliance players in AB actually work together, and in doing so it voids all chance of being held as realistic.

Back