Introduction

M

megaman

<intro>
Hello fellow Christian gamers.  I am new to TOJ and wish to thank everyone for the chance to fellowship and game at the same time!  
</intro>
<bio>
I am from the Atlanta GA area. I am married/26 with 2 children ages 1.5 and 3.  I work full time and go to school for 9 hours a semester.  My interests outside of family/church/work are gaming, computers, Linux, Scripting, etc...  I work for Comcast Corp as a IP Network Engineer.  I attend Crossroads Church in Sharpsburg Ga (suburb of Atlanta).
</bio>
<question>
I want to see if anyone else from this area had ever thought about organizing a LAN party?  I have attended some really fun LANS and they can be a good change to witness to unbelievers.  
</question>
<closing>
Thanks again for the opportunity to join this great community!  I hope to get to know you all better!
</closing>
<sig>
-MegaMan
</sig>

Welcome!

What distro Linux you running? I was runnign Debian but played around with others and thinking about going back.
wink.gif

I've tried to arrange LAN games on CCGR but with 56K dial I'm limited. I'm sure you'll find faster people here though.

It's good to find another Linux person here! ;) I run Gentoo. Fast as can be
smile.gif
. What college program are you in? I am in Computer Science at UIC.

Jamon

At home I'm running Mandrake.  At work I'm running Debian Woody 3.0 Stable on Sun Ultra 2's and E450's and E250's.   We also have Redhat on our compaq and dell servers.  My favorite distributions are Debian, Mandrake, Redhat.. in that order.  I have also ran LFS (Linux From Scratch).  It is pretty neat because you build you system from scratch.  
My major is BSIT.  Which is funny because all of my classes are based on Microsoft Products, and I avoid Microsoft like the plague.
<edit>I forgot.. the school I go to is Clayton State University.. a no name state college that offers night classes.</edit>

LAN Party!  Woot!  I'm in Nashville though.  
sad.gif

I did some serious research into hosting some lan parties somewhere and inviting various people, both youth and adult to attend. My thought was that it could be Christ centered, sort of a devotional/LAN party. I figured that if I circulated information to enough congregations, I could get a turn out. Besides, I couldn't honestly devote that much time to a lan party if it didn't somehow bring glory to God.

Then I discovered the enormous amount of preparation and organization it would take to have a decent LAN party. It seemed really intimidating. Personally I wouldn't travel more than a few hours to get to one, with Atlanta being 4 hours away is a stretch.

But, if you guys seriously want to put one on, I'll see what kind of interest I can scratch up. We'll first have to decide on the basics though. When, Where and How.

Send me an instant message or email if anyone wants to talk about it some more. Who knows, maybe we could have the beginnings of the Annual CGA LAN party going here.
wink.gif

AOL & Yahoo: breauxster
MSN: bbro@comcast.net

BTW Welcome Mega! I'm a new ToJ member also. Glad to have you
biggrin.gif

Debian is pretty nice. If Gentoo wasn't so great ;) I would probably be using that one (or Slackware, still). I enjoy the "bleeding edge", so Gentoo is the natural choice. :p I started LFS once, but I never finished. It was a long process that required a lot of attention - I got past the beginning sections and got to the final package compiles, so it's not like I didn't learn a lot doing it!
smile.gif
I understand about the whole "MS everywhere" thing - I have worked and made most of my money via MS stuff - even though like you I avoid it whenever possible.
biggrin.gif
Fortunately, UIC has a decent UNIX lab, where they recently installed some RedHat 8.0 Dells
cool.gif
. See you on the forums!

Jamon

Back