It's dead Jim!

James

My controller bit the dust last night. :( Looks like I will be out of commission until I can find a suitable replacement. Maybe the Lord is trying to tell me something...

Controller + Mouse is much more ergonomic. ;) Unfortunately I believe they stopped manufacturing this controller so I can't just buy a replacement, and the others I have seen don't fit my hand comfortably.

Last edited:
They stopped manufacturing it? That's almost a sin! That controller is legendary! :) You should try ebay, I'm sure they abound on there.

It appears that I can print out a sales sheet from Gravis' website, use the product number and call their support office to order replacement controller. However their site hasn't been updated in years (literally); and it will take 6 to 8 weeks to deliver a replacement if they even will at all. So I will definately be "on the bench" for a while. :(

Last edited:
BeLoVeD said:
how do u use a controller and mouse...
Think of a PlayStation controller. Controller in left hand; thumb on Directional-Pad for movement (forward, back and strafing). Index finger is on the top shift buttons (L1 and L2) for jumping and crouching. Select and Start are bound to some common weapons.

Right hand is on the mouse and used as expected. While it seems awkward when you try to picture it in your mind, it is actually much more comfortable and ergonomic than killing your wrist slowly on a keyboard. Also if you have played console games for any length of time, you will find the Directional-Pad for movement to be quite natural and instinctive as well.

Killerah said:
Did you check ebay? You used one of these right? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...5191791855&rd=1
Correct. However I wouldn't touch eBay with a 20ft. pole. I've already been swindled out of roughly $35.00. :(

Last edited:
It appears to be the same one from the picture. However in the description it says Windows 95 & 98 only. I may just buy it and find out when it arrives I suppose.

yowzas. To each his own, but man I dunno if I could ever use one of those things for an FPS. :p. One guy did use a Nostromo, he said it was really stiff at first and his fingers tired out fast. I still love the good ole kb+mouse :D. We have one guy that uses his scroll for all the weapons, lol. He hasn't played in ages but has incredible aim. Hope you get up and running soon.

I remember reading about guys who use to play the original Doom game using a mouse, and back then everybody thought that was weird - there was no mouselook back then, but you could use the mouse to move forwards, backwards, turn left and right, etc.

People laughed at him but he turned out to be a really good player because his movements were totally eratic and unpredictable compared to a keyboard-only player. He was just ahead of his time.

BTW, James, if you don't have any luck with the game pad bizness, I actually have the same game pad myself (got for Tony Hawk way way back). I might be convinced to part with it for a few bucks (Canadian of course :)) if other avenues don't work out for ya.

That new pad looks nice, however not sure if the handle is too large to fit comfortably with my one-handed grab. I will need to go to a store and see if I can test one out there before I purchase.

I can't buy anything this week because of an unexpected expense that swallowed most of my paycheck. That's okay though because I could use the time to decide what I want exactly.

I'll kepp you all informed of my GamePad adventures though. ;)

Cham3l3on: The setup seems more awkward to "outsiders" than it actually is. I first tried it because the keyboard just wasn't working out well for me; and I thought to myself "This may be strange but if it works, go for it". So I played with it for a few hours; and I was shocked how quickly using the Cross-Pad for movement became instinctual.

And no more wrist or finger strain from the keyboard.

Back