It's raining Mods...

Shagz

With the "Make Something Unreal" contest acting as a catalyst for mod development, it looks like everybody and their dog is putting something out. There's so many of them, it's hard to keep track.

Anybody have any faves yet? Deathball for me of course, but so many new ones have been announced lately, I'm going a bit cross-eyed!

WHAA~ Does this mean I have to go out and buy Unreal Tournament 2003 now? ;_; I think I might go shopping online for a copy in the next few days. There are just too many mods I want to test out with my fellow ToJ members!

If you guys want to wait a year, you can get UT2K4, which will have 2-3 new game types, more maps, all the currently available downloadable bonus packs PLUS all the original UT2K3 game content...for about the same price! (For owners of the original UT2K3, there is talk of a rebate offer, but nothing official yet).

Of the mods I've seen, but haven't played yet, I put most of my interest in Face Off (*very* slick Terrorist/Special Ops game, w/ vehicles), Chaos UT (Weapon mod that's been produced for both Quake and UT series in the past), Air Bucaneers (my vote, just for originality; fight it out in HOT AIR BALOONS!), Jupiter Effect (Virtual On/Robotech/Giant Robot shooter) and Troopers (Star Wars Storm Trooper Mod).

Here's a "highlight reel" - http://www.planetunreal.com/features/phaseone/index.shtml

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shagz @ July 17 2003,9:33)]If you guys want to wait a year, you can get UT2K4...
Ah, now I remember! I haven't purchased UT2K3 because I'm waiting for the release of UT2K4. That's right. ^_^;;

SO HURRY UP, EPIC!

tcs = Total Conversions?

Have a look here and look at Conquest Marines, Jungle Warfare, Marble Mania (if that's your thing), and Troopers. I think those would qualitfy and Total Conversions, and they seem to be getting the good reviews, all though I haven't played any of them yet.

Of the ones I was talking about yesterday, I've tried out Chaos UT2K3, Face Off and Jupiter Influx. Chaos UT2K3 is right fun, with all kinds of really neat weapons replacements (a great medival crossbow, prox grenades, "hunter" grenades, trip mines, a great "rail gun", laser guided rockets, return of the Cutter and the Vortex Cannon/Bomb) plus a custom map pack.

Face Off is a small mod, but very very well produced...even more impressive when you find out it's been developed by just one guy! There are only 3 maps right now, but somebody's already converted Counter Strike's Aztec map for the mod. Keep an eye on this one, I think it's going to be really good.

Jupiter Influx was pretty neat, but a bit annoying because there was no screen to set up control binds, so I didn't really know what I was doing. But the graphics were pretty cool and I think it could be a lot of fun when the Beta comes out.

Tried out Air Bucaneers and Troopers - wasn't impressed with either of them, wait for another beta.

rgr tried out troopers and was lame.. also face off was poor. why do you need to walk so slow o_O

chaos ut was fun tho..

Oh! Faceoff actually isn't slow! There's a bug in the installation that sets your game speed to 50%. Go to "instant action", and you'll find "Game Speed" under "Game Rules". Turn it back up to 100%.

Back