whose trust is the LORD.
They shall be like a tree planted by water,
sending out its roots by the stream.
It shall not fear when heat comes,
and its leaves shall stay green;
in the year of drought it is not anxious,
and it does not cease to bear fruit.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Those who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint. -Isaiah 40:31 (NRSV)

AS a Christian I know I am called to show my faith by spending time with God, loving my neighbors, and forgiving my enemies. These are difficult commands, but it is often my own weakness that makes me unable to follow them. Sometimes I am too weary; sometimes I am lazy; sometimes my pride gets in the way. Then I lose heart and am tempted to give up altogether.

God knows that we cannot obey on our own strength. But we can count on God in every way as we try to follow Christ. When we succeed in obeying God's commands, we do so because of the gifts of grace and strength that God offers.

God promises us strength when we are weak and power when we feel powerless. When we ask for help, our strength will be renewed. We "shall mount up with wings like eagles . . . run and not be weary . . . walk and not faint."

Irma Gerungan (East Java, Indonesia)

Dear Father, thank you for your patience with us when we fail you. Help us to love you the way that you want, and help us to overcome our weaknesses as we seek to follow you. Amen.[/i/

Back