Jan 18, 2005

Kidan

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Luke 11:9-13 (NRSV)
[Jesus said,] "So I say to you, Ask, and it will be given you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you. For everyone who asks receives, and everyone who searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Is there anyone among you who, if your child asks for a fish, will give a snake instead of a fish? Or if the child asks for an egg, will give a scorpion? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! -Matthew 7:11 (NIV)

This afternoon as I was preparing my two-year-old son's lunch, I decided to give him my wife's delicious -- and healthy -- marinated chicken, with saltine crackers as an appetizer.

As I was warming up the chicken, my son steadily gorged himself on crackers. Thinking that the crackers would spoil his appetite for the chicken, I decided to take away the crackers until the chicken was ready. My son loves chicken; but because he couldn't see the chicken, he became quite angry when I moved the crackers.

Like my son, we sometimes think that what we can see is all there is. Too often we underestimate God. We become possessive, greedy, and impatient. We don't want to trust that God has something better for us and to "wait for the chicken."

When we feel that God has abandoned us, we can remember the words of the psalmist: "Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for us no one can recount" (Ps. 40:5).

Paul Davis (Maryland, U.S.A.)

When our faith falters, O God, renew our trust in you by leading us to your word. Amen.

Back