July 17th, 2005

RED

Unseen Light

Read 1 Corinthians 2:4-16

Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
Hebrews 11:1 (NRSV)

I made an interesting discovery when I was in grade eight. While heading home from school one cloudy, November afternoon with a fluorescent orange sheet of paper, I was astonished to see that it glowed brightly in spite of the dullness of the day. When I asked my science teacher about the phenomenon, he explained that ultraviolet light, which we cannot see, made the paper glow in the visible light range. That was the first time I heard about light that is outside the range of our vision.

We tend not to acknowledge the reality of things we cannot see. Many forms of light in the universe can't be seen but can be detected with the proper equipment. X-ray cameras, infrared detectors, radio telescopes, and other devices let us see what our eyes cannot see on their own.

Modern technology enables us to view the unseen light all around us. In a similar way, the Holy Spirit, given to us by God, illuminates scriptures that may seem like foolishness to some people. Believers can see evidence of God's love and presence because the Spirit gives us new eyes.
Bruce Atchison (Alberta, Canada)

Prayer:
O God, help us to walk by faith and not by sight, believing your word in spite of appearances. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.

Back