July 19th, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
Power, Not Talk

Paul wrote, "I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me."

-2 Corinthians 12:9 (NRSV)

OUR growing church needed additional staff, so we were interviewing people for the position of associate pastor. As I spoke with one of the candidates, I asked what he thought of our church. Having researched our ministry on the Internet, he said, "If this church is anything close to what you say on your website, I am very impressed!" His statement challenged me. We, like other churches, developed a web site to tout all of the great things about our ministry, but it could not paint the whole picture.

Perhaps like the church in Corinth, we allowed our proud talk to speak for us. In 1 Corinthians, Paul commends the first-century believers for their many positive traits. But Paul also tells them that it will not be their strengths that win the day; it will be God's power working through their weaknesses.

I wonder what would happen if our church launched a website that told visitors that the greatest part of our ministry is how God's power is displayed in our overcoming personal failures and interpersonal conflicts? We are real people who make mistakes and hurt one another sometimes. But our faults are the soil whose fruits show God's grace and power.

John Richardson (Missouri, U.S.A.)

Prayer:
Thank you, God, that through dealing with our faults we allow you to display your power and grace. Amen.

Back