July 21st, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
A Cup of Cool Water

Jesus said, "If anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward."

-Matthew 10:42 (NIV)

IT was the last day of the writers conference I was attending. A man working feverishly at his computer in the conference bookstore was trying to get his inventory completed before checkout time. It was a warm, humid day, and the expression on his weary face spoke volumes.

Suddenly I felt a gentle nudging to ask him if he'd like a cup of water. "Yes, that would be wonderful. I think that's just what I need," he replied. He said a quick thank-you as I set the cup down beside him. I had totally forgotten about the incident when, a few days later, he sent me a lovely thank-you poem. He told me that the cup of cold water, at that precise moment, was a gift of immeasurable worth.

At first I was astounded that such a small gesture could make such an impact. But the more I thought about it, the more I began to recall some of the many ways God has unexpectedly refreshed me in times past -- groceries that arrived on our doorstep when my husband was laid off, a close friend's words of encouragement during a difficult trial. And it was then I realized that small cups of water aren't so small after all.

Linda Knight (Ontario, Canada)

Prayer:
Thank you, God, for your living water and all the ways you refresh us every day. Amen.

Back