June 30th, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
"I See You"

When Jesus heard [the centurion] he was amazed at him, and turning to the crowd that followed him, he said, "I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith."

-Luke 7:9 (NRSV)

OVER the last several years, I have spent significant time in Africa. There, identity with family, group, culture, or heritage comes before individual identity. There, when a friend greets me by saying, "I see you," that "I" means the speaker as a member of a family, culture, and tribe sees me and my family, my tribe, and even my ancestors. I look in your eyes and see your mother's care, your grandfather's teaching. I see that God has been at work in many ways, through many people and over time, preparing us to greet each other. The appropriate response is "I am here." Again the "I" is the extended family, the village, the tribe -- who are all represented in me. Using "I" affirms that I am intimately related to all those who have helped shape me.

In the same way, Jesus saw people with clarity and understanding, partly because he saw them not only as individuals but also as the product of all that had shaped them. That's why he could be astounded at the Canaanite woman (Matt. 15:21-28) and the Roman centurion (Luke 7:1-10). He knew their context and culture; thus their reaching out was all the more remarkable. When we remind ourselves to look at others in this broader way, we can respond to them the way Jesus did.

Jerry Haas (Tennessee, U.S.A.)

Prayer
God of all nations, give us your eyes that we may see. Amen.

Sorry these devotionals are late. I've been caught up in a lot of things lately and haven't been able to post them.

My apologies folks...I was hoping to get this posted this morning but something took longer then expected. Thanks bowser for covering up.

.seek.

Back