Just wondering

Talon

I'm just wondering, what is the diffrence between the Pentium 4 prescott build CPU and the Pentium 4 northwood build CPU.  Can they be crossed like a prescott put on a northwood chipset (if it is a chipset).  Like for instance my laptop has a northwood cpu in it and when i upgrade I would prefer a prescott since they appear to be cheaper (not much but every $ counts) and i think they are newer?  
rock.gif

Just want to know. Thx

Talon

Umm, ok.  The silence is dually noted and maybe its a retorical question i can answer myself, i'm not sure, i'm really busy right now with school.  I did a little research and found out that northwood cpus are going to be stopping at 3.4ghz i believe or something close and prescott are going to replace northwood cores.
rock.gif

Hey Talon if I need a computer question answered I mainly check out the Discussion link from http://www.hardwarecentral.com
There is a lot of info for any computer question and then some.
It's been a while since I've done any cpu research so I'm behind on information. CS

prescott is hotter but has more cache if I'm not mistaken. even though it's not as efficient as northwood it's the dominant core

Prescott is available in 1000 cache and many new chips made by prescott comes with the Intel's new Hyper Threading Technology, along with Northwood. and yes it does get slightly hotter then Northwood, which allows less overclocking ability.

I have northwood currently. Looking for a new cpu soon i hope :|

Back