Kings & Chronicles

SSquared

Well, we got through a bit of Kings/Chronicles while I was on vacation. These are some of my favorite books of the bible. They so clearly show what happens when we obey and when we disobey God's commands. They are a continual reminder to me about the choices I need to make and how important it is to stand up in my faith.

II Chronicles 20 is one of my favorite chapters of the Bible. As a worship leader, I find this chapter particularly amazing. This is where Jehoshaphat was coming against 2 armies and there was essentially no way Israel was going to win. So what happens? They PRAY!!! They declare a fast! They take it to God knowing that He is able to take care of the situation. And then...they move out with the worship team up front. They are singing and praising God in the frontlines. Hahahaha. All of this led to a 'victory'. The army didn't have to do a thing. They were praisin' and God did the rest!

Another fascinating story is with Elijah and the prophets of Baal. I love the humor in there when Elijah is saying, "C'mon! Maybe Baal is sleeping. Wake him up!" But the real amazing part is the test of fire. Nothing the prophets did could cause a fire. And then, there is humor again. God has Elijah pour water over the sacrifice. Who in their right mind would think that would EVER work? But...it did. God sent the fire down and soon the rains came.

Ohhh, there are so many great stories, but I will stop with these two.

Anyone else want to share something that has made an impact?

Well, you summed it up pretty good there bro. Since it is so late at night here now, and I do my readings first thing in the morning, I'll pass for fear my memory may not be so good...LOL!!! It sure is great to have you back bro. Hope you and the family had a great vacation. God Bless you all.

Yes! We had a terrific time! My parents watched the kids for about 4 days. Wow! The things we could do without kids.
smile.gif
We could walk in a clothing store without having to find where someone is hiding. We could walk into an antique store and not worry about someone picking up something delicate. I was able to spend lots of time taking pictures too. Ohhhh, it was great.

2 Kings 5 - 8

The story of Naaman is very interesting. There are several aspects to this story. First off is to recognize God's intention was for ALL people to be saved. His message was not just for the Jews, but for all mankind. Naaman, an Aramean, witnessed the amazing work of God and believed in Him. So we see God proclaiming Himself to a Gentile.

Naaman is told to do the simplet thing (wash 7 times in the water), and he refuses. He'd rather have leprosy than try something so simple. Well, the way I look at it is, I can't really blame him. How many times does God tell us to do something very simple and we refuse? Or we think we know how to do it better? But look how it ends. Naaman follows through and guess what? His skin becomes like a young boy. That's even better than Naaman could have EVER imagined. And so it is with God. His ways are much better than we can even dream.

The last part is the work of Gehazi, Elisha's servant. The story ends with Gehazi asking Naaman for money to pay Elisha for the healing. What Gehazi is doing is weakening the true healing provided by God. What Elisha (and God) did was free. No strings attached.

Y'know how the other day I mentioned Jehoshaphat as one of my favorite biblical passages? Well, the story of Elisha and his servant and how the Arameans were blinded is another one of my favorites. To know there is an army in heaven is such an incredible feeling. One of my favorite phrases is when Elisha says, "Those who are with us are more than those against us." Elisha can see beyond what the human eye can see. He knows and recognizes God is ultimately in control.

Amen!!! Nice to have you back bro, and glad you had such a wonderful vacation. God Bless you and yours.

II Kings 18 and II Chronicles 29-31

Today's reading was sure left as a cliffhanger.
wow.gif
What's going to happen between Hezekiah and Sannacherib? Ohhhhh, actually. I just looked over the reading. I don't think we were actually supposed to read all of II Kings 18. In a few days we are supposed to start reading from II Kings 18:9.

Well, Hezekiah has sure shown some incredible strength. He goes to show how things start from the leader on down. Hezekiah felt in his heart the need to turn back to God. The nation needed to repent and turn from their ways. He sent the word out to the entire nation. Sure, many laughed and ridiculed, but others knew it was the right thing.

Can you imagine what that celebration must have been like? Much of what went on had not been celebrated in years. As a nation, to gather together and repent, cleanse, and return their lives and heart to the Lord must have been an incredibly moving time.

I found II Chronicles 31:20-21 to be extremely powerful: "Hezekiah did what was good and right and faithful before the Lord his God. In everything that he undertook...and in obedience to the law and the commands, he sought his God and worked wholeheartedly. And so he prospered."

God has called us to obedience and faithfulness. We need to search our own lives to see where there is room for improvement.

Back