LawBreakers (The game, not people who break the law)

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
The open beta for LawBreakers is available to play for free until tomorrow (Monday, July 31) morning. I decided to download it last night (wow, 35GB download) and give it a shot. Now there's just a few hours left of the open beta.

The game is pretty much what I expected. "CliffyB loves Overwatch and Tribes and decided to make a game that merges elements from both." That is by no means an insult. If you're going to borrow from first-person shooters, you could do far worse than those two games. It's also clear that CliffyB's prior work on the Unreal Tournament series strongly influenced the design of LawBreakers. Again, this is not a problem.

The problem is that Overwatch exists. Without Overwatch, it's hard to imagine LawBreakers would be the game it is. But with Overwatch purchased, installed, and enjoying immense popularity, I just don't see LawBreakers convincing me to part with my hard-earned cash and, even more importantly, my scarce gaming time.

I enjoyed my time with LawBreakers tonight and wouldn't hesitate to pick the game up on a really great sale in a year or two (say, for $5-$10) if it catches on with other CGA community members.

In the meantime, I'll stick with Overwatch and Team Fortress 2 for my team-based multiplayer first-person shooter fix.

I was disappointed to hear a character line include an F-bomb as well as other, milder profanity. This might be a cause for immediate dismissal for some if the developers don't offer a way to turn expletives off (and, let's face it, they probably won't because it seems 99% of gamers don't care and they're not concerned with the 1% that do).

But aside from a few expletives, content seemed relatively tame. There is blood, but it's not over the top.

Ultimately, LawBreakers is fun, the controls are tight, classes are varied, and the low-gravity gameplay feels right. But aside from low-grav featuring more prominently in the game and map design, Overwatch is just more fun to play and more popular, which means it's easier to find other CGA community members like @BananaGirl and @Box of Noodles to play with. (By the way, great games last night, you two. :))

Shameless plug: If you play Overwatch, stop by the CGA Discord server and ping Overwatch players by mentioning the @overwatch role in chat. If you'd like to be added to the @overwatch role, please let a mod know.

Back