Left 4 Dead 2 for $30 until 11/25 7 a.m. Central

I went ahead a made my order, would have liked to see a really good deal, but for a game only a few weeks old this one's not bad, specially with the free shipping.

Side Question: Has anyone ever registered a store bought game on their steam account? After I link it to my account do I have to have the game disk for all the installs or can I just download the game at anytime? Just wondering if I format my hard drive, if I will have to have the disk handy to reinstall the game or if it's like any other game on you account and you just have to click install.

Side Question: Has anyone ever registered a store bought game on their steam account? After I link it to my account do I have to have the game disk for all the installs or can I just download the game at anytime? Just wondering if I format my hard drive, if I will have to have the disk handy to reinstall the game or if it's like any other game on you account and you just have to click install.
My first Steam games were bought at retail. From my recollection, you should be able to download the game anytime once you enter in the key.

You will want to keep the actual card that has the key though. If something were to come up and you need to establish your ownership to their support staff, they will ask for a picture of the key card (going off memory here).

Last edited:
Yeah, I got a few games at retail, still able to download them once linked through Steam. :)

suppose your right, I wasn't thinking about my copies of HL and Opposing Forces that I bought before steam was created.

to back up what Omega said, if you purchase a game from retail, then it's just a matter of entering the key in the GAMES panel on STEAM.

My wife purchased HL2 from the store and that's how it worked in the past. In fact, I've only had to install steam on my last two machines and tell it that I had CS, CS:S, HL2, etc...

Back