Left Behind: Eternal Forces

Dark Virtue

The controversy continues over this game.

But this time, it's coming from noteable Christians, namely Jack Thompson.

Here's what Warcry had to say about the game:
One thing many gamers will likely find disturbing about Left Behind, though, is the black-and-white polarization of good and evil portrayed. The faithful are good, and the undecided are (decidedly) bad or evil. The only way to accomplish anything positive in the game is to 'convert' nonbelievers into faithful believers, and the only alternative to this is outright killing them.

And here's what Thompson had to say:
This is the worst example I have ever seen of how pop culture has conformed the Church to its image, rather than the Body of Christ serving as light and salt in the world.

The people at Tyndale House should be ashamed of themselves, but they are not. Anyone can make a mistake. Tyndale House, now staring the mistake right in the face, refuse to do anything about it. This is outrageous. This is tortious conduct. I intend to take legal action if I can.

I know this all will break your heart. It broke mine. Tyndale House must now be broken.

Do you think this is a game six year olds should be playing? The publisher does. They're expecting to get an "E" rating on the game.

Comments?

I don't know anything about the game, except from what you just quoted and described from above ... but it sounds pretty ridiculous to me - I wouldn't let my child play it.

The game looked rather lame from an entertainment perspective anyway. I wouldn't expect many people, Christian or otherwise, to pick up this game, so it's more a case of making a mountain out of a molehill.

Like people did with the devinci code? :p

Also, I have heard nothing about this game, so if you have info on it, please post it here so everyone can be informed and make his or her own opinions on it to post.

the_great_eskimo_pie said:
PLease provide a link to the article you found out your information from.

I can't do that. Doing so would violate the TOS. Questionable ads and such.

You can easily find the articles with a google search though.

I'll wait for a month or two after it comes out to see, from other people's opinoins, how it'll be. I don't know whether I'll get it or not.

ChickenSoup said:
I'll wait for a month or two after it comes out to see, from other people's opinoins, how it'll be. I don't know whether I'll get it or not.

What would preclude you from getting it?

Gameplay issues or religious content?

I'm already debatin this one on Gamespot, its so stupid how atheists are already saying things about how "evil" this game is. They hovn't even seen gameplay and their already judging it! As for me I'm supporting this game all the way, I've got my copy reserved. I believe this is going to be a great game, and there should be more that follow it's example.

I have images of the Simpsons episode where Bart had to stay at the Flanders. They played some game where the player had to Convert the heathens by shooting them.

Bart: Ooh, tough room. Videogames! Whaddya got? [grabs a
videogame off the shelf, and reads the title] "Billy
Graham's Bible Blaster?"
Rod: Keep firing; convert the heathens!
[cut to a pixilated video screen. Heathens cross the
street, as a Bible gun shoots the Holy Book at them. When
a heathen gets hit, he turns into a conservatively dressed
man with a halo]
[cut back to the boys]
Bart: Got him!
Rod: No, you just winged him and made him a Unitarian.
Todd: Look out, Bart! A gentle Baha'i!
[cut back to the video screen. A Baha'i, sitting cross-
legged and wearing a turban, floats past. Bart zaps him,
and turns him into another suit-wearing conservative]
[cut back to the boys]
Bart: All right! Full conversion! [puts his arms around Rod
and Todd] Thanks guys, this really cheered me up.
Video: Second Coming! Reload, reload!

DarthDapor said:
I'm already debatin this one on Gamespot, its so stupid how atheists are already saying things about how "evil" this game is. They hovn't even seen gameplay and their already judging it! As for me I'm supporting this game all the way, I've got my copy reserved. I believe this is going to be a great game, and there should be more that follow it's example.

Uh, keep in mind the quotes I listed were not by stupid atheists, but from CHRISTIANS stating the game is evil.

I don't even know what to think or feel about this game, like...seriously. Yeah, I just think that the whole convert or die thing is a little harsh. I mean, during the rapture, it definately won't be the Christians killing anybody because I'm pretty sure we'll be exterminated if we don't go underground. In the game I think they should have a really expansive dialog system in which you can talk to them and save them. I think it should be more like a sneak around game like Splinter Cell, you know, a game where you DO NOT have to use a weapon in order to succeed but cunning and stealth. It should be an alright game I suppose, but really, don't judge it until you play it. When it comes out and we all play it, then the criticizm can begin, heck I'll even join in if it really sucks that bad. But just wait and see right?

*cch* Roger Roger *cch*

Alright listen, we hovn't even seen how the gameplay mechanics look yet! The only thing we've seen is a few images, and even those aren't exactly truth telling.

Back