Let's Talk Thief

Waynos

Ok i as most know I love the thief class.
i designed my own build and wanted to share it for opinions (good and bad)

Here Goes;
Waynos Stealing Thief

Traits (why i chose what i chose)
Deadly Arts 10
III Mug (allows stealing to do damage)
minor trait applies 10 seconds of poison everytime you steal
This is also a good shadow step to target as well as decent damage

Shadow Arts 30
I Master Of deception (20% faster recharge of Deception skills = utilities #7 blinding powder 8 seconds faster and #8 shadow refuge 12 seconds faster)
minor trait stealth skills last 1 second longer
IV Shadows Embrace (removes a condition every 3 seconds while you are in stealth)
minor trait gain 15 seconds of might when you go into stealth
XI Shadows Rejuvenation (regenerates Health while you are in stealth)
Now you can use stealth more often due to 20% recharge rate bonus and heal and remove conditions making you less squishy

Trickery 30
III Uncatchable (drops caltrops whenever you dodge)
V Thrill Of The Crime (gain Fury,Might and Swiftness for 10 seconds when you steal)
VI Long Reach (increases the range on stealing)
Now you can steal from further away,gain 10 seconds of might,fury and swiftness when you steal
and drop caltrops when you dodge causing enemies to bleed keeping your damage going while you continue to stealth and attack

Weapons
Set 1
Dagger - Superior Sigil of Battle giving you 20 seconds of might when you swap to this weapon set
Dagger - Superior Sigil of Force giving you and extra 5% damage

Set 2
Pistol - Superior sigil of Intelligence giving you 100% critical chance on your first attack when you swap to this weapon set
Pistol - Superior sigil of Agony giving you a 10% bleed duration complimenting the bleeds your pistol deals to foes

Armor Type (Power,Precision,Toughness)
Runes - Superior Runes Of Strength
this gives you 155 Power
3% chance to gain might for 20 seconds when hit with a low 5 second cooldown
+5% damage while under the effects of Might

Accessories - Rampager for all (other types are optional this is just what i came up with)

Breakdown of totals (according to calculator and may vary depending on gear types)
Power 1680
Attack 2661
Precision 2339
Critical Chance 72%
Toughness 1216
Armor 2280
Vitality 1425
Health 15,895
Condition Damage 1244
Condition Duration 10%
Boon Duration 0% (Superior Runes of Strength give +20% Might duration which makes up for this low score)
Healing Power 300
Critical Damage 0% (with attack at 2661,condition damage at 1244 and crit chance at 72% it will pick up the slack no problem
Stealing Recharge 30%

Healing/Utilities
6 - Hide In Shadows (stealth,regen health and remove conditions)
7 - Blinding Powder (blind enemies,stealth,regen health and remove conditions
8 - Shadow Refuge (stealth,regen health and remove conditions)
9 - Signet Of Shadows (permanent 25% speed boost also can be used to blind foes for 5 1/2 seconds)

OPTIONAL if you take Shadow Arts Master Trait VIII Hidden Thief you gain stealth from stealing which also gives 15 seconds of might from the Hidden Assassin minor trait
but this will add 8 seconds recharge time for blinding powder (#7) and 12 seconds for shadow refuge (#8) so it's a tough trade-off

With stealing having a 34 second cooldown you can use your initiative dagger skill #5 (Cloak And Dagger) to get a fast stealth and 15 seconds of might which goes well with
backstabbing and heart seeker.
another way to get an extra stealth and 15 more seconds of might is to drop pistol skill #5 (Black Powder)
then swap to daggers and hit skill #2 Heartseeker jumping out of the black powder field and you will gain stealth as well as more might

this build i made designed to
1.use the might you gain for power and damage
2.Stealth you use to heal,remove conditions and hide you when things get out of control

BUILD LINK for a better visual
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYEQRA...saFoJA;TABg1yqEUJpSVliKqcM5IyxmjLHZOLOGisDYWA

ok now that i've rambled on let's hear some feedback

Last edited:
this sounds like a very good build. i may have to try it. mug does significant damage and is a great opening for both shadowstep, and initial burst. and correct me if i'm wrong but the trickery line reduces the cd on steal. i currently run 25/30/0/15/0 and looooove the power thief. (also run power based mesmer and ranger lol)((can't get enough of power builds)):cool:. i ran without mug for a bit and it doesn't take long to realize the loss of that opening burst. the only critique i have is relying on d/d backstabs with out having alot of power. i'm still learning thief, but even with 25 in the power line i feel like i could use more explosiveness at times (of course that may be due not getting crits at the right time). a quick critique on myself: pleeease teach me how to stealth like that lol, that's a major lack i have in my build. also have you tried sword/dagger it's my favorite set but i think the d/d burst is better and just want some confirmation.

this sounds like a very good build. i may have to try it. mug does significant damage and is a great opening for both shadowstep, and initial burst. and correct me if i'm wrong but the trickery line reduces the cd on steal. i currently run 25/30/0/15/0 and looooove the power thief. (also run power based mesmer and ranger lol)((can't get enough of power builds)):cool:. i ran without mug for a bit and it doesn't take long to realize the loss of that opening burst. the only critique i have is relying on d/d backstabs with out having alot of power. i'm still learning thief, but even with 25 in the power line i feel like i could use more explosiveness at times (of course that may be due not getting crits at the right time). a quick critique on myself: pleeease teach me how to stealth like that lol, that's a major lack i have in my build. also have you tried sword/dagger it's my favorite set but i think the d/d burst is better and just want some confirmation.

I haven't tried the sword/dagger combo yet but i have seen people running sword/pistol and they seem to do well with it.
as far as stealth goes,
Shadow arts is key for stealthing..you can gain extended duration of stealth,heal while in stealth,remove conditions and you can also give allies 5 seconds of regen when you stealth them.
also one thing i have learned about shadow refuge skill is if you stay within the field till the house disappears, you gain like 10 seconds of stealth which helps if your traited to gain health,remove conditions and all around surviving.

I switched up my build for fractals and it seems to do well both in fractals and in PVE.
only reason i switched it up is due to mobs/bosses you can't get close to without getting killed fast.

here is what im running for fractals/PVE and it has great stealth capabilities as well
D/D
P/P
Sup Runes of Lyssa

Deadly Arts 30 =
(III MUG) for burst,poison and shadow step,
(V) Potent Poison 33% Increases Poison Duration - this also helps from stealing applying poison for longer/more damage
(IX) Dagger Training increases Dagger damage by 5%

Critical Strikes 10 =
(V) Pistol Mastery deals an additional 10% damage with Pistols

Shadow Arts 30 =
(I) Master Of Deception - reduces recharge of deception skills by 20%
(IV) Shadows Embrace - remove conditions per 3 seconds while stealth
(IX) Shadow's Rejuvenation - regen health while stealthed

there is a huge lack of critical chance with this setup
but i don't depend on waiting for a crit cause of the high power.
in fractals lv12 i was max hitting around 5,000 on the bosses (some of the credit goes to buffs from allies)
but i do roughly 4,000 damage by myself (or without assisted buffs should i say)

6 - Hide in Shadows
7 - Smoke Screen (great reflection skill i'm so glad i tryed it)
8 - shadow refuge
9 - Signet of Shadows (just for the 25% movement speed)
0 - Dagger Storm (lots of fun to spin into mobs and watch them melt down..only bad thing is the long cooldown time)

im looking into sword/pistol as a possible set but i dont want to lose UNLOAD #3 cause it deals great damage

ok, shadow arts is the vitality line right? (my pc is down or i would check it) does it lengthen the duration of stealth as a passive effect or is it a trait? as far as s/d the only reason i like it the most is the ability to use #2 as a closer and then #3 as a big damager that nearly always hits. it's easier than trying to get in position for those stealthed backstabs with d/d. s/d also keeps the awesome stealth of dagger #5. however, i'm pretty sure that the damage from a 100% crit backstab(d/d while stealthed and in position) is higher than the #3 s/d combo. another credit to your build is the extra stealths from utilities. i generally use the signets (power/precision/25% movement) but i definitely see the advantage of shadow refuge. i am really really really looking forward to getting my pc built so i can try some of the stuff you're putting in this post.

another quick comment: you're absolutely right about p/p in dungeons and pve. p/p #3 (unload i think it is) is, imho, by far our best ranged burst skill. i do switch to shortbow in WvW though for the AoE capability.

ok, shadow arts is the vitality line right? (my pc is down or i would check it) does it lengthen the duration of stealth as a passive effect or is it a trait? as far as s/d the only reason i like it the most is the ability to use #2 as a closer and then #3 as a big damager that nearly always hits. it's easier than trying to get in position for those stealthed backstabs with d/d. s/d also keeps the awesome stealth of dagger #5. however, i'm pretty sure that the damage from a 100% crit backstab(d/d while stealthed and in position) is higher than the #3 s/d combo. another credit to your build is the extra stealths from utilities. i generally use the signets (power/precision/25% movement) but i definitely see the advantage of shadow refuge. i am really really really looking forward to getting my pc built so i can try some of the stuff you're putting in this post.

Shadow Arts is the toughness/healing line...at 15 points the minor trait extends the stealth duration by 1 second.
1 second isn't that great but if you have multiple skills that will stealth you, by the time you pop a few stealth skills one is usually off of cooldown

my reasoning for 2 stealth utilities and 1 signet;
blinding powder - causes an AOE blind,stealths nearby allies and is good for running past a mob without them picking away your health as your running away
i also sometimes switch this for Smoke Screen for the blind and 7 seconds of blocking projectiles

Shadow refuge - gives by far the longest stealth out of any skill combo i have found,heals you and any allies effected (my guess would be between 10-13 seconds of stealth)
also works great for those communing skill points when there is a champion guarding them..i stealth in,grab skill point and stealth out and the champion has no clue i was there lol

Signet of Shadows - just for the 25% speed boost..thiefs aren't tanky so we need to get in,do damage and get out.

are waiting to buy parts? or just time to put it together?

Last edited:
another quick comment: you're absolutely right about p/p in dungeons and pve. p/p #3 (unload i think it is) is, imho, by far our best ranged burst skill. i do switch to shortbow in WvW though for the AoE capability.

Yup it is Unload..if you take trickery to 20 points;
Ricochet has 20% chance for your pistol shots to bounce to an extra target...works great unless your trying to pull one enemy.
im working on a build now that is for dual pistols because having those and dual daggers as offhand weapon set seem to be my favorite

very cool, i hadn't realized the toughness line did that. guess that's becuase of a dumb penchant toward glassy builds. i mean.. duh... "shadow" arts, shoulda seen that one lol. i have been running the "extra" points in the vitality line for the dodge benefits found there. i've also dallied with the trickery line a bit, the lower recharge rate on steal is very nice and coupled with mug its down right nasty. i really like the way you're using stealth.

as far as the pc goes, the hard drive fried on my old one a few days ago. i bought a whole new set-up and should get the hardware pretty soon (next few days). then i'll have to put it all together. been building pc's for years so when i get the stuff i should have it together pretty quick. i still need to pick up an OS but i havn't decided which one to get yet. the last one i built for myself was about 5-6 years ago and though it lasted well it was well out-dated. the new rig is exciting and hopefully will be very super especially awesome as i might actually be able to experience WvW zergs and world bosses.

Been doing a bunch of reading on thieves, and am wondering about venom sharing in WvW. The ability to hand out CC and healing suppression to a team seems like it would be awesome for zerg busting or even small roaming team/supply camp capping, but I'm seeing mixed reviews on different forums. The general thief community seems indifferent toward venom share.

Has anyone had experience with it in an small organized WvW group or in zerg warfare?

I suppose I should back up and ask another question. I'm not a big fan of respeccing every time I switch between PvE and WvW, so I'm trying to find a point allocation that could serve both (I don't mind switching out traits, just don't like reassigning points every time).

Shortbow is such a favorite, and looks like primarily a condition weapon. D/D DB spam, dodgetrop bleed build seems to be a standard for general PvE. Which leads me to try and find a condition based build for WvW. Seems like condition/stealth while the DoTs tick would be a good way to get used to thief in WvW before getting into the more challenging burst builds that require picking the right targets and being in the right place at the right time.

Any advice?

Last edited:
Saw a cool build i wanted to share with all the thief lovers out there;

Condition Thief
Dagger/Dagger (sigils Earth,Agony)
Dagger (sigil Geomancy)

Armor Rabid (Prec,tough,Cond dmg)
Runes Undead
Accessories Rabid with exquisite Chrysacola Jewels

Traits = Benefits
10 (V) = gain 2 initiative when u stealth
30 (II,IX,XII) = might when you dodge which gives extra cond dmg,gain 2 initiative every 10 seconds,gain 3 initative on weapon swap
30 (III,VIII,XI) = drop caltrops when you dodge causing AOE bleeds,Tricks recharge 20% faster,gain 4 initiative when you heal
(also gains 2 iniative for getting stealth for a total of 6 iniative per heal thanks to the "V" trait in Shadow Arts)

Healing and Utilities/benefits;
6 - Hide in shadows = heal,stealth and gain 6 initiative
7 - Blinding Powder = Stealth and gain 2 initiative
8 - Caltrops = AOE bleeds,recharges 20% faster cause it is a "Trick" skill
9 - Roll For Initiative = stun break,removes cripple,chill and immobilize and also gives 6 initiative
9 - Dagger storm = AOE bleeds,AOE cripple and 10 1/2 seconds of stability

Skill Rotation/How It Works; (works on single targets as well as mobs)
F1 steal to teleport/shadow step to foe
Pop Caltrops to start the AOE bleeds
Use Death Blossom twice for more stacks of AOE bleeds
weapon swap (gaining 3 initiative) and geomancy sigil causes an AOE bleed
use Death Blossom twice to keep stacking the bleeds
Roll For initiative to gain more initiative back (if you are taking damage heavily use Hide in shadows to heal,stealth and gain 6 initiative)
most enemies are toast before you finish this rotation

Thoughts/Suggestions;
Dodge often - it gives more Caltrops for added bleeds and might for extra condition damage

Consumables (optional)
Rare veggie Pizza -
Nourishment (30m):
+40% condition duration
+70 Condition Damage
+10 Experience from kills
(extra condition damage and extended duration)

Build Link
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNA...PuqVrKA-jwxAUgARVAzhFRjtaWENWNDmKlIq2jUEtaA-e

i watched a video on this build in action..the bleeding damage was amazing
i did not include the video link due to some foul language that i dont care to hear or share

enjoy

Last edited:
Ok, ok, just made a thief, a Norn named Heikki Lunta (look it up), I am at lvl3 using dagger, pistol because that's whut I haz. As I progress what is the best GENERAL direction to take traits? I can pretty much make any low lvl weapon or armour up to about lvl 20. btw Jotun the Baptist had to go bye bye to make the thief, I just felt like 2 eles were too many.

Can any thief players speak to the viability of Sword/dagger after the update, for WvW or pve? Stealing boons looks super nice for PvP/WvW...and I think it might be great situationally for PvE as well. Boss coming up that runs boons? Not for long.

Can any thief players speak to the viability of Sword/dagger after the update, for WvW or pve? Stealing boons looks super nice for PvP/WvW...and I think it might be great situationally for PvE as well. Boss coming up that runs boons? Not for long.

sword/dagger pre-update had a great skill for teleporting
not sure on how it is now..im running a condition build with bleeds
im also trying not to make another thief so i wont have to keep changing my gear lol

Ok, ok, just made a thief, a Norn named Heikki Lunta (look it up), I am at lvl3 using dagger, pistol because that's whut I haz. As I progress what is the best GENERAL direction to take traits? I can pretty much make any low lvl weapon or armour up to about lvl 20. btw Jotun the Baptist had to go bye bye to make the thief, I just felt like 2 eles were too many.

it really depends on what type of thief you are looking to play
or what play style you like best..i became fond of a pistol build till i saw the condition build.

what i do is lookup youtube videos on "guild wars 2 thief builds"
then choose the "this week" or "this month" to see the current ones people are using (beware of bad language at times)

Just buy a couple greens or rares and try it out. You lose basically no money. I went FAR too long on guardian with GS/Staff only, and regretted it when I later tried new stuff.

So far on my thief (lvl 50) I've been using D/P for the blind + shortbow. The ranged play feels very different, though, and while I like the weapon it's not super fun. Pistol/pistol is fun but no aoe. I've been considering something to the effect of sword/dagger + dagger/pistol for full melee, wondering if blindspam + stealth could keep me in melee for the whole time. Or maybe S/D + P/P, still squeezing a bit of blind and being able to run away.

Might just be those bauble bubbles and fused ticket I have sitting around, but I'm thinking it'd be a nice combo. I really just try to find weapon types I like and then match a playstyle to it. Looking cool is what it's all about!

Just buy a couple greens or rares and try it out. You lose basically no money. I went FAR too long on guardian with GS/Staff only, and regretted it when I later tried new stuff.

So far on my thief (lvl 50) I've been using D/P for the blind + shortbow. The ranged play feels very different, though, and while I like the weapon it's not super fun. Pistol/pistol is fun but no aoe. I've been considering something to the effect of sword/dagger + dagger/pistol for full melee, wondering if blindspam + stealth could keep me in melee for the whole time. Or maybe S/D + P/P, still squeezing a bit of blind and being able to run away.

Might just be those bauble bubbles and fused ticket I have sitting around, but I'm thinking it'd be a nice combo. I really just try to find weapon types I like and then match a playstyle to it. Looking cool is what it's all about!

blinds can definately keep you in melee range longer..each blind causes the foe to miss next attack
as far as weapon sets i like dual daggers and dual pistols if im running a bleeding spec.
shortbow has nice mobility on skill #5 and hits multiple targets including aoe on skills #2-4

pistol/dagger has a great #3 skill..it lets you strike and shadow steps you away landing a pistol shot
which can be great for foes that keep getting too close to you.

there is so many ways to play this class i almost want to make several of them just to learn the different playstyles lol

made a new build today i call "just say splat"
it's almost like a glass cannon but a little bit less squishy.

Build Breakdown
Weapon Set 1: Pistol/Pistol
Type: Berserker
Sigils: Agony/Battle

Weapon Set 2: Dagger/Dagger
Type: Berserker
Sigils: Venom/Geomancy

Armor Type: Berserker
Runes: Sup Runes of the Mesmer

Accessories Type: Berserker
Upgrade Components: Equisite Ruby Jewels

Traits:
Deadly Arts: 30 (III,IX,X) Benefits Daggers and Pistols
Critical Strikes: 20 (V,VII) Benefits Pistol's
Shadow Arts: 20 (IV,VII) condition removal during stealth and added damage for harpoon gun (useful underwater

Healing and utilities:
6 - Hide in Shadows = stealth,Heal and remove a condition
7 - Smoke Screen = projectile reflection and area blind
8 - Shadow Refuge = stealth,Heal and remove a condition
9 - Roll For Initiative = stun breaker,get out of dodge fast or gain intiative
0 - Dagger Storm = gain stability while spreading bleeding and cripple

Stats that made want to post this/and try it lol:
Power 2384
Attack 3413
Precision 1864
Critical Chance 49%
Critical damage 82%

With so many thieves going on, we might need to have an all-thief WvW night down the road and do some of those tricks like stealthing inside towers and capping them after the enemy leaves.

That last one is alot like like my build Waynos. I run 20/30/20 with the 30 in critical stikes to get executioner. In WvW I run d/d shorbow though. Enok, in the state of the game thread you asked what s/d build I ran. If I remember right it was 0/30/20/20/0 with the 20's in vit and toughness to take some of the "sqiushy" out and the 30 in crit for damage. Re-thinking I might try it again with-out the 30 in crit to see if I can find a build that does better. Playing a thief that isn't doing massive burst is my problem with s/d but if a build where found that was fun and decent 1v1 without huge burst I'd be ok with it.

At lvl 5 I am trying to get the hang of Heart Seeker. It seems like a nasty piece of work to use.

Back