Linux Computer Assistance

Marcylene

This title is a misnomer, considering that I can only move my way around Linux with step by step instructions. Very basic, albeit instructions on how to move the mouse I don't need! lol :p

Our computer has been having trouble recently and our son-in-law was nice enough to let us use his machine. He set it up with very basic internet service and a few games. I am grateful, but Real Player listening is one of my favorite things to do online.

I have the most basic of basic computer knowledge and I have never seen Linux until now. I have tried to go by online downloads and instructions to no avail. I DID finally discover where the terminal was!

I would appreciate any assistance you may offer. But please, only the very patient need apply! I am absolutely lost on this machine!

Thanx a bunch,
Marcylene

Last edited:
What distribution (or flavor, or type) of Linux are you using? I could probably help with whatever. Tech support is my job after all, and I know enough to be of assistance.

First things to know:

1) Linux is not windows, for the most part you can't run windows programs in it.
2) The repository will likely have most of what you need (usually there is a GUI package manager where you can select and deselect programs to add/remove them)
3) Depending on the distro you usually don't need to be a terminal wizard to get by (never knock the command line though, it is VERY powerful when you know how to use it).

the distro is the key here. Some distros are much easier to add windows codecs(like real player) than others..:)

I honestly don't know the distro...lol What's a distro? ugh! I know that Ubunto is loaded.

I love, love, love, listening to online sermons and did listen to 365 for a bit , most all sites I listen from require Real Player.

I must admit, as I said, I have tried to Google and I am in the dark when people start talking things like distros and repository:)

How do I find out what version, if Ubunto is not the right answer?

You guys are amazing and I do appreciate your help very much.

Your distro (Distribution) would be something like Mandrake, Ubunto, Fedora Core, RedHat, Suse, Debian, CentOS... One of those possible... possibly something different :p It may have a logo splash screen when you start the computer where it would say the type of Linux instead of saying "Windows!"

If you really want realplayer (I personally hate it though). http://www.real.com/linux

After you download the package open up the terminal and (assuming you downloaded it to the desktop):

#We will change directories to the desktop
$ cd Desktop
#We have to add executable permissions to the file to execute it
$ chmod +x ./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin
#Now we execute the file with root permissions
$ sudo ./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin

When specifying the file you can type 1 or 2 characters and press tab to autocomplete it or it will beep and you can press it again to list the possible completions. The installer will guide you through selecting the paths (all of them should be fine).

Last edited:
You guys are really great...and patient, too! I will try and install, or get instructions tomorrow.

I am looking for a job once again, and often employers want Linux knowledge...here I come. I ran across many sites, but I really like that one, Hes, perhaps I can learn something there.

VK, I did try something similar...I can hardly wait to try these things. Please stand by...I'm givin' it a try:)

If all goes well, I can never thank you enough, and my Spiritual life owes you tremendously!

The linux version of realplayer is atrocious IMO and hasn't been updated in a looooong time. (well realplayer is atrocious on ANY platform)

I don't think ubuntu has realplayer in the repository, hence why I went ahead and gave instructions on how to install it from the binary blob.

Angels, angels, you guys are simply angels! I am listening now to my RealPlayer. I am sorry it took so long to get back to you. Honestly, it was very embarrassing. The website hes gave gave the same instruction as vibrokatana. I cannot tell you how many days that I have been on and tried the instructions. Tonight, I had a bit of extra time and MUCH determination. I don't know why, and I would be the very A#1 first to claim user error...but it took hundreds of times putting in, (sometimes copying and pasting from the instructions), to finally get it to work!

I appreciate you guys. Now to get winamp! lol I know, I am a pain, but certain preaching sites have certain players!

Thank you with all my heart!:p:eek::)

Back