LotR: Fellowship of the Ring

SSquared

Whoops.  I forgot to mention I picked up LotR: Fellowship of the Ring for the PC last weekend.  I know the reviews have been bad and they say it's short, but I decided for $10, it was worth it.  I know that totally goes against my game purchase philosophy (I only buy games with great reviews), but I've been on a LotR kick lately and my good friend at work had said he liked it.  Expect a CCGR review when I'm done.  But I can already say it's not a grabber.  I mean, I'm spending more time playing Jedi Outcast which I've had for over a year.  I'll have to refocus on Fellowship or it'll end up like so many other games.  Started...but never finished.

The graphics, though nice, are very slow.  They even made a game patch to help speed up the graphics.  I don't think it did anything.  Most of the time I get < 30 FPS and I've got a 1.8 GHz, 512MB,and GeForce4 Ti4200.  I've turned off shadows, anti-aliasing.  I've even tried 800x600 and it was still bad.

So far, the gameplay isn't all too exciting.  Quests that have no bearing on the game.  They seem completely meaningless to even complete them.  An enormous amount of health powerups...and I haven't even needed ONE yet.  I guess I'm stashing them away for an intense battle later on, perhaps.

Right now, I'd rate it as 'cute'.  It has its moments and some of the dialog is pretty funny.  It's certainly not boring, but it's no grabber either.  And it's good enough that I am excited about the new LotR games the developer's are currently working on.

The game, being based on the book, is somewhat different than the movie.  Then again, the game is somewhat different from the book as well.

Well, expect a review in the coming weeks.

Not sure if it's the same one. Was it the EA one or Black Label Games one? I think the EA series has been getting great reviews. Especially the one for Two Towers. I only wish they released them on PC.

Phew! This game was SO bad I sold it back today. The only reason I would even play it was just because I was hoping to give a review for CCGR. But I couldn't pull myself to complete it. I should have just listened to all the reviews.

What'd I get instead? The Two Towers soundtrack. Oh YEAH!!!!! It is FANTASTIC!!!!!!! The Fellowship soundtrack quickly became one of my favorite albums and this one rates right up there as well. Stunningly beautiful. A much more enjoyable purchase.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SSquared @ May 17 2003,1:43)]...or it'll end up like so many other games. Started...but never finished.
I've got that problem. Too many games that I've started and just never gotten around to finishing.

Jedi Knight, Jedi Outcast, Halflife, Red Alert 2, Warcraft 2 & 3, Starcraft.
laugh.gif

Believe it or not, I have actually beaten a few of my games. I just have a problem of getting halfway through a game, and then getting something else. Right now, Phantasy Star Online on my xbox is monopolizing my time. (i've actually beaten the game many times yet still continue to play it over and over again....I'm not addicted though...I can quit whenver I want. really!! )
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Jedi Knight, Jedi Outcast, Halflife, Red Alert 2, Warcraft 2 & 3, Starcraft.

Took me 1.5 years to finish Halflife. I kept playing in bits and pieces. My wife one day said, "You never finish any of your games." So last year was actually a VERY good year. It was probably the first time since playing the Episode I adventure game that I completed a game.

My goal last year was to start finishing my old games I never completed. Since then, I've gone through all the Half-Life games. I re-started Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine this year. Got further than my first go at it, but once Freelancer came out, I stopped playing it again.
sad.gif

I still gotta get through X-Wing, Tie Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, Racer, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine...there are others, but those are the main ones.

"Not sure if it's the same one."

Probably not. The ps2 one was more of a third person shooter. It also went into the second movie.

Actually, the PS2 one, later released on both Gamecube and XBox, is more like some of those old school brawlers, like Fnal Fight, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I've heard the Fellowship of the Ring really stinks. The only selling point for me was Tom Bombadil. But, the GBA version was so buggy hat one of my friends took it back. And now Target is selling the XBox version of The Fellowship of the Ring for twenty bucks. It seems like a waste for such a promising prospect. Black Label also did The Thing, which, I am told, has redefined the survival horror genre. Too bad. At least Return of the King will come out for all major consoles. It has five playable characters. Yipee!!!

Yep. It had Tom Bombadil. But don't get your hopes up. It's nothing more than some miscellaneous character who happens to be named Tom Bombadil. His part was nothing more than the ability to say, "We are following the book because we have some character that wasn't in the movie." Believe me, people should NOT base their knowledge of Bombadil on this game. After I completed his section is when I finally gave up.

Do not get the game for $20. Rent it first. Although, I have a good friend who happens to really like the game. He has it on XBox.

I'm still excited and looking forward to Black Label's future games. Some of them look very promising.

I just wish EA's Two Towers came out on PC. I hear that game is quite good.

MaxX, was it the Black Label version of the game? The one that followed the book? I'd be interested in knowing if it's the same one, and what made the game so enjoyable.

Back