March 28th, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
Forgiven

Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.

-Matthew 6:12 (NRSV)

I saw my neighbor on the street and apologized for accidentally upsetting her on a previous occasion. "I never forgive," she said. Even though I begged her forgiveness, she remained adamant. "I never forgive," she repeated, quite forcefully.

I went on my way with a heavy heart. But my anguish was not so much for myself as it was for my unforgiving neighbor. Surely those who can never forgive must carry a heavy load and be very unhappy. After all, it is inevitable that others will offend and hurt us as we go through life. Forgiving is God's gift to help us let go of the hurts.

As a Christian I believe in the basic teaching of the Lord's Prayer: "Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors." Jesus taught by example, asking forgiveness for his persecutors as he was dying on the cross. That could not have been easy, even for the Son of God. Yet he did it as one of his final acts of grace.

Barbara Haynes (Kent, England)

Prayer:
Dear Lord, may we follow your example of forgiveness of sin. We pray as you taught us, saying, "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And do not bring us to the time of trial, but rescue us from the evil one." Amen.

Back