March 29th, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
Crossroads

Thus says the LORD: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.

-Jeremiah 6:16 (NRSV)

AS a teenager I traveled to the United States to pursue a better life. Over two decades later, after my father's death, my mother decided to join me in Chicago. As I helped my 65-year-old mother adjust to her new life, she and I experienced a role reversal. I enrolled her in English classes and introduced her to the culture the way she taught me in our homeland. She quickly picked up the language and was able to obtain a job within walking distance of our home.

On her way to work my mother crosses a rather busy intersection where three streets meet, creating what is called "six corners." It is easy to get lost in that area. Recently my mother told me that sometimes she walks down the wrong street for several blocks before realizing her error. I advised her to look at the street signs to make sure she stays on the right course.

Afterwards it occurred to me that we often encounter crossroads in our lives and fail to look for spiritual guidance. But if we pray and study the Bible, God can instruct our hearts and give us counsel before we go off course from God's will.

Ren F. Duarte (Illinois, U.S.A.)

Prayer:
Dear God, guide us in your loving ways as we face the crossroads ahead. Amen.

Back