Micah

SSquared

Micah 6:8

I know this was from a few days ago, but I wanted to discuss this verse.

This is probably the most famous verse from Micah. "He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."

So what is this really saying? I think he's trying to point out all God asks for is a faithful and sincere heart. Just before these verses, Micah discusses asks us "Shall I come before him with burnt offerings? Will the Lord be please with a thousand rams?" Micah is pointing out that it isn't the sacrifice itself. It's the heart.

In these types of discussions, we can always look back to Abraham. Abraham was considered faithful well before the Law was in place. Paul addresses these issues several times (as we will read later). These were big issues for the fisrt Jewish Christians. For example, they strongly believed you had to be circumcised to be a Chrisitian. But Paul points out how Abraham was faithful even before God called them to be circumcised.

The point being, those aren't required to have faith. Simply faith and faith alone...and a humble, obedient heart to go with it.

Back