Music to frag by

SLAM

I recently threw together a collection of music into a disc labeled "Frag CD 1." It had selected audio tracks from Nerf ArenaBlast, Descent II, Quake II, Tribes 2, and some other artists including POD, Chevelle, and Rob Zombie (Okay, the only one by that freak I added was Dragula, just to add a slight "The Matrix" feel to the whole thing. You know, moving real fast, being invincible...that kind of thing). Here's the whole track list of my first Frag CD:

1. Descent II - Track 07
2. Quake II - Track 04
3. Descent II - Track 05
4. Tribes 2 - Desert
5. P.O.D. - Satellite
6. Nerf ArenaBlast - Track 05
7. Quake II - Track 07
8. Quake II - Track 08 (One of the best :).)
9. Descent II - Track 08
10. Descent II - Track 03
11. Quake II - Track 03
12. Rob Zombie - Dragula
13. Chevelle - Peer
14. Nerf ArenaBlast - Track 06
15. Tribes 2 - Badlands
16. Descent II - Track 04
17. Chevelle - Skeptic
18. Nerf ArenaBlast - Track 07

So, that's my current lineup, until I refine it, and eventually come to the perfect playlist. It's primarily what I listen to when playing first person shooters/action games.

What do you all listen to when playing various games?

Old Irish/Scottish stuff with bagpipes and what-not.
smile.gif

Track 9 on the Half-life cd was pretty hardcore. The music for the ut map DMLlandri was cool too. (forget track names)

Oh yeah! The Half-Life soundtrack is quite good. I've been listening to Track 24 (Credits/Closing Theme) quite a bit lately. I really like the TR-909 beats. I'd like to start writing stuff like that. I've got the sounds, just not the time.

For whatever reason, OpFor and Blue Shift weren't quite as good.
sad.gif

Boy. I've never even thought about listening to anything other than what is on the game CD. Hmmm...It never really occured to me that I don't have any music when I play Half-Life. Actually, I sometimes like having little or no music because you can better hear environmental sounds. One of the coolest things is in Jedi Outcast when you hear the famous "Zzzshshhh" as someone takes out their lightsaber.

What? No mechwarrior tracks at all? DIE! Out of game music, I spose the stuff I'd put onto a cd would be from the mechwarrior series, starseige, starseige: tribes 2, and C&C: Renegade. That stuff is about the most fragtastic I can think of right now.
blues.gif

I don't really like music from the C&C games...I get more of the impression that I'm listening to music that is trying to sound cool, rather than actually sounding cool. I get a visual of...

*squeezes eyes tightly

Westwood's top executives standing on top of a conference table in their suits making a half-hearted attempt at dancing. Yes, that's what C&C music makes me think of...a failed effort to sound cool.

The music from Tribes 2, albeit scant, is pretty well done. Descent II and Quake II's audio tracks are intense, I like them a lot :). Now, don't get me wrong, if I was playing a SINGLE PLAYER EXPERIENCE game, I wouldn't listen to this stuff. For a deathmatch, which is what I designed that playlist for...that is exactly what I'd listen to :).

never played decent or quake 2, but C&C music is not the same as the music from C&C: Renegade. Renegades tracks are more action oriented. How you like P.O.D. sattelite as a track to frag to is beyond me.... Not exactly angry or competitive lyrics at all, boom sure, not sattelite. Mechwarrior and starseige series tracks still are the best I says.

I'm not exactly sure how Satellite fits in there either...just sounds right to me, I guess, even if it doesn't sound quite like the rest of the tracks :).

Yeah, I guess the music from Renegade was a little different, they did an okay job on that. Still, you have to admit, you DO get that kind of visual listening to some of the other C&C music, specifically anything with record scratches or synth hits in it.

Quake 2...yes, I recommend you pick up the CD from somewhere. It's a good game anyway, and should be in everyone's collection, even if only as a museum piece. Descent 2 should be there as well :).

Dragula.....lol. You listen to ol Robbie? House of 100 Corpses.....that song scares me.
Anyways: question, how do you get the tracks off your games. I have QII and Descent and HL and all that but how do I get the music off it?
Op4 rocked Squared. Blue Shift was just crap. I liked it only for the High Def Pack it came with for the other HL games and Op4 had Redemption..but I never bought Op4...it came with Blue Shift when I bought that. Was Redemption any fun? If anyone's played it?
"Time to choose." -the invincible agent guy in the black suit who stalks you through HL>

Ultima, many of the soundtracks will play in a regular CD player.

My comments regarding Op4 and Blue Shift were strictly in regards to the music. I thought both games were FANTASTIC. Op4 being better, but I did really enjoy Blue Shift as well. The whole Half-Life series is in my top 3 list of favorite games.

Regarding C+C, I only have the original one. I would have to agree with SLAM. I actually think the music is ok, but I remember thinking it was sort of just going with the current flow of the times. They were trying to sound cool, as SLAM says.

Renegades music doesnt fit in with the rest of c&c, some of it is old c&c cheesy sure. Some tracks are good. Listen to every single renegade track or you are not worthy to comment on it! You havnt even listened to any of them, yet, you already judge it? PREJUDGICE!!!!
wow.gif

Shark, not sure if your comment was towards me...

I wasn't making my comment in regards to Renegade. I was making it only on the original C+C game, as that is the only C+C I have.

Ultima, one the Q2 and D2 CDs, the audio tracks are just tracks written on the disc past the data sector (i.e., track 1 :)). I was able to extract them win CDex, which I use for ripping all my CDs. Just select track 2 and everything past it, and tell it to extract to MP3 or WAV or whatever you want.

The Descent II: Vertigo disc had awesome music on it as well, but I don't have that...I may try looking around for a Descent Ultimate Collection or something.

I heard some derogatory mentionings of C&C music, and while I agree that the music for some recent C&C titles (Tib Sun, RA2 - except for the redone Death March) wasn't so good, the music for the already-mentioned Renegade was pretty good, and the original Red Alert and C&C soundtrack music rocked!!! Seriously, C&C had some great fragging music.

Original C&C? Let me muster a quote: "I'm a mechanical, I'm a mechanical, I'm mechanical man." Repeat 300x. I don't think they even TRIED to sound cool on that one.

Back