New L4D DLC coming soon.

Whon

Tribe of Judah Left 4 Dead Chapter Leader
Title says it all...

Clicky Clicky

For the lazy here's the run down: "It looks like we'll have Dead Air and Death Toll on Versus mode and maybe some new maps."

DLC = pay to play?

If Valve requires players to pay money for 2 Versus campaign that many players feel should have been included with the retail package (especially after not charging for content updates for Team Fortress 2), they're going to (1) lose some of the fan love they've earned with TF2 and L4D and (2) make things much more complicated for groups of players who like to play together:

Player 1: Hey, did you buy Dead Air Versus?

Player 2: Nah, man, I'm broke as a joke.

Player 3: Yeh, I got it.

Player 4: Nope. Don't get paid until next week.

Player 1: Oh. Well, I guess we'll play No Mercy Versus. For like the 10,000th time.

Player 2: Hey, man, don't blame me and Player 4. It's Valve's stupid fault for charging $x for what should have been ready at launch.

DLC = pay to play?

If Valve requires players to pay money for 2 Versus campaign that many players feel should have been included with the retail package (especially after not charging for content updates for Team Fortress 2), they're going to (1) lose some of the fan love they've earned with TF2 and L4D and (2) make things much more complicated for groups of players who like to play together:

Player 1: Hey, did you buy Dead Air Versus?

Player 2: Nah, man, I'm broke as a joke.

Player 3: Yeh, I got it.

Player 4: Nope. Don't get paid until next week.

Player 1: Oh. Well, I guess we'll play No Mercy Versus. For like the 10,000th time.

Player 2: Hey, man, don't blame me and Player 4. It's Valve's stupid fault for charging $x for what should have been ready at launch.

Did they actually say it would be pay to play (I ask because I may have missed it on the podcast)? If they did it's really stupid. It might be ok in a game that had a finished feel to it but L4D feels so limited. It's like you said it should have been in the game at launch.

Valve is usually on the free DLC side from what I've read. They even tried to make the TF2 update on the 360 free!

Did they actually say it would be pay to play (I ask because I may have missed it on the podcast)?
I don't believe they did, but I've always seen DLC used in the context of pay-to-play content before.

Then again, this is Valve and they've still yet to charge for patches or content updates.

If I was a betting man I would take it as they are going to be releasing an update with the maps and it would be like the TF2 updates....

My bet would be it's free, just knowing Valve. DLC really only stands for DownLoadable Content, as I recall. It's just had the pay-to-play stigma because of the 360 Marketplace/PSN etc.

Back