ok im thinking of building a new

ummmmmm dont u think that some of that stuff is a bit overkill??? all i need is 256 mb ram, 32mb vid, and something a little bit stronger than a 333mhz MB, and a cpu that will run that all. i mean its nice stuff but i was hoping to get off a little bit easyer on price man.

K sry 'bout the late reply, i got finals and im busy this week, but ill try to look for a cheaper stuffs then. (thanks for specifying the "SPECS" that u want)

hey np, im just glad ur able to take the time to do this.

Update: I've been sick recently, am back on shape (almost) so i'll proly re-make the whole computer thingummy, so its up-to-date
smile.gif
i'll PM u asap when im done.

Got these stuffs off Frys Outpost.com.. keep in mind, that Frys Electronics and outpost are very very slightly different. However, they are likely to hav the same stuffs.

Kingston 256mb DDR RAM

Abit KD7A KT400A Motherboard

AMD Athlon XP 2200+ Socket A Thoroughbred Retail

Diamond Stealth S60 32MB AGP Graphics Card with RADEON 7000 3D Chip

all totals up to average of 213 Dollars.. whew! it took quite a search. AMD Motherboard/Processor, 256 DDR RAM, and a Radeon 7000 OEM Videocard 32 mb. should u need better stuffs/price just post. I can re-do all the searches.. Oh and i hope i didn't miss anything
tounge.gif

Also couple ideas about the Operating Systems..

If you guys don't know how to operate Linux, I recommend Windows 2000, or Windows Server 2003. (2003 is more expensive, unless u could borrow/Own it
tounge.gif
) These 2 are much light weight then Windows XP, and has almost all the stuffs, and are very stable. Windows 98 shouldn't be on as a server system, because of its lack in stability compared to win2k/2k3/xp.

im gonna check and see what i can borrow, which could be ME,NT, or XP. 98 is a last resort. thanks for the prices flash. im gonna head out to frys this saturday and hopefully get all those parts. now outa curiosity would just a normal case i have from the olden days of HP work with these parts? if i did need a new case would THIS work ok?

I have looked at the case, and it should be fine, since it's for a server, no need to look too fancy. I don't think the old HP case would work, cuz it was designed for HP computer's specific parts. Go with the case u picked. Just glad I could help
smile.gif

If you can't get Windows 2000(2k) then XP or NT is the best.

k. only reason i picked that one was cuz it was the cheapest the site had
wink.gif
. i have a friend in pullman who im not sure has 2k or NT but might. is ME any good for servers?

WOW wow wow.. u got it all wrong. ME is a joke. Only good part about it is pretty good compatibility, but now thats gone due to XP/2k's Service pack releases. XP's got much more reliability, and stability, so it's less likely for a server to go down. 2k is like the early version of XP, since XP's codings are based on that of 2k. ME is i dunno, some kind of messed up version of Windows 98.

2k is the best way to go, if not, XP. I'm not sure about Win NT's compatibility, but if it can, it's better then ME.

well ive had a minor cash setback *cough winter retreat cough* but im gettin at least half of the stuff ready to go.

Back