Omnotron and DoTs

JohnD

Thought maybe my DoTs might be contributing to triggering the shield on the bosses. I have been letting them timeout and not refreshing if boss energy is < 60%. I found several posts on the net that said they dont trigger the shield and just not to refresh the dot last second. Others that said yes and to stop dots at 60%. Any clarification here would be appreciated.

One post said

"shouldnt he clear dots on boss changes?

He shouldn't. DoT ticks don't trigger the effects from the various shields; outside of a ridiculous amount of DoTs potentially breaking Magmatron's shield, but as long as you aren't refreshing DoTs (Which you definitely shouldn't be doing, as applying/refreshing a DoT *does* trigger the shields) that shouldn't ever happen."

Another post said:

"DoTs can activate special attack from the shield. DoTs should be stopped in the 60 energy range to prevent spillover shield activations."

And another post said:

"As far as I know the shields were hotfixed so they don't proc off ticking dots. although casting a fresh immolte will obviously proc it. "

Last edited:
well having killed them now twice in our group. I have noticed the following:

1.) when dots are on the shielded boss the raid takes a ton of damage from said boss.

2.) while yes the dots might not break the shield, the shields do emit damage to the raid in the amounts the shields absorbed.

3.) the same is true for pets and hunter shots.

What I have found works for my DK and diseases is that the duration is 26 seconds I believe, so I can apply them once for each boss and then let them timeout. I think I wiped us on one attempt when I accidently re-applied diseases when energy was around 60%. Not sure what Lock DoTs are like since i have never played one but look at you spells and work out a rotation that works for you. If it means you spend the last 10 seconds on a boss just spamming shadow bolt or something, but it keeps the raid alive, go with that.

Back