ooo the goods

blfleshman

so, i ordered the hardware for a new pc and am pretty excited to get the goods. now i have a question to anyone who's tech saavy or just wants to give some input. i have an old win vista disk that i was gonna load, but after some thought it occurred that windows 8 may have some improvements that would be beneficial. the new rig will be a z77 mobo with an ivy bridge i5 and a gtx660ti gpu. is win 8 more optimized or are there any features you guys know about that would be worth it?

Windows 8 is definitely going to be a lot better than Windows Vista.

Agreed, anything that is not Windows ME is better than Vista. You might even qualify to get it for $15.

i'd run vista before windows 8. Windows 7 isn't that expensive i would run that over either of the aforementioned options.
I disagree. Win 8 is a great operating system with the best performance for games. It will continue to get better as MS supports it. That being said, free is better then paying money, and Vista with all service packs is pretty solid these days.

Last edited:
I'm running Home Vista with an i7 (first gen) and have no problems.

The only issue i have had with VISTA is due to it being a 32-bit Operating System
It would not recognize more than 4GB of my RAM thus reducing my performance by about 50%

so i bought Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (full version $199.99 ouch)

Here is a basic rundown of my specs that give me 70-78 fps on max graphical settings

Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Athlon II x3 450 3.2GHz Triple Core processor
8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1333MHz RAM
Radeon HD 7850 Turbo 2GB GDDR5 Video Card
Raidmax 650 Watt Power Supply
500GB Western Digital 7200rpm Internal SATA Hard Drive

This was my first build ever

Last edited:
Win 8 is the first windows that has built in security software, for what it's worth.

I just built my first rig in December, and did a lot of research into trying to decide between 7 and 8. There's some variation in opionion, but the general consensus among tech-heads that I could find was that its security (antivirus, antimalware) component was sufficient for a personal computer.

I know a lot of people hate Win 8, and it did take me a while to get used to it, but I'm not having any troubles with it.

To the folks who haven't used Win8 yet...the biggest thing you need to watch out for is the new metro home screen MS wants to force you into using so that you will go and buy up all their tablets when you are used to it. Of course, that makes me not buy their tablets out of spite...why would I go buy a tablet with an interface I don't like. :) You can switch back to a classic view, but it's a bit annoying.

Other than that it's a solid OS. I'm not sure if it's running still, but the pro upgrade was $40 for anyone for a while, and $15 if you bought a new computer. I bought a refurb and qualified just fine.

Last edited:
after some digging on google i came across a comment on some random forum that stood out from the raging (win 8 is new and sucks) and the fanboiing (win 8 or this other product is best nah nah nah). "win 8 is new and may have problems but it is the current windows OS and most, if not all, new support will fall in line with it (win 8)", that my friends certainly has the ring of some common sense. nice to see some out there have it lol. you guys are right btw, everything i've seen suggests that win 8 would be an improvement over vista. alot are still promoting win 7, but 8 will definitely gain more support over the next period of, well... till the next windows.

thank the Lord for quick information. i put the rig together and installed core temp (so i can moniter cpu temp) and my brand spankin new cpu was running at 105C!!!!! i quickly pulled the covers and the stupid cooler fan wasn't working.... fixed it quickly. all good now and running at a cool 35-40C. Thank the Lord!

Awesome! GW2 looks like an entirely new game with a nice rig. It's crazy.

I'll second that.

I went from a laptop with specs slightly below ANets minimum requirements to a i5 and 7870 on which I can run everything at full, and it's like I'm visiting places in the game for the first time again.

Not to mention humans on low settings look like terrible plastic dolls, but with high-rez textures on they look great.

Is anybody else playing GW2 with an Invidia GTS250 or equivalent? Every time I try and reset video settings it tries to set it higher than what is stable. I get what seems to be resets from heating issues. Currently I have it dialed back a lot on the settings. It seems to be a choice between pretty, pretty, and function. Unfortunately we will have a cash flow issue with my better half being out of work because of surgery, so there is no easy solution. And yes I cleaned it out just about a month and half ago. Any suggestions?

Ursen - are you changing settings in GW2, or in the nVidia control panel? nVidia has a control panel that will sometimes override your in-game settings if you let it. You can get to it by clicking the green eye icon in your system tray, bottom right hand corner of the screen by the time. You'll probably have to click the little up arrow to see it. Once in there, look at anything that seems weird for GW2.exe.

Be careful with those GPU temps! If it's getting hot or shutting off, it's only a matter of time before it goes out.

Be careful with those GPU temps! If it's getting hot or shutting off, it's only a matter of time before it goes out.
Give me a reason to get a new card. j/k

Are you sure it's heat issues?

The reason I ask is that I was having trouble with GW2 freezing to a screen of vertical lines, and went looking on the internet. I ran across mentions of heat issues. That seemed strange to me, because it was only happening in the first fifteen minutes or so of playing GW2.

All my drivers are current, but I didn't have the Catalyst software. Downloaded that, and it told me my temperature was fine (stays about 40-60 degrees). I didn't change any settings, and haven't had the issue since, so the only thing I can figure is having the Catalyst installed fixed the problem.

Now I now you're on an NVidia, so none of that applies to you, except that I was running across a lot of info that I was having a heat issue, and it turned out I wasn't at all. Have you used any software to actually monitor the temp to make sure that is the problem?

Not at this point. My problem was random system freezes and random reboots in heavy graphic rendering times. Dropped graphic settings and issues went away for the most part. Even doing the Meta events doesn't seem to faze it now. What is a good program for monitoring gpu temps?

Last edited:
Back