pc troubles

rizz

My pc is set up but it has random moments of instability.. It sometimes just shuts an application down and gives an error report.. I have sent so many error reports to microsoft in the last week. Sometimes it just bluescreens and reboots before i get chance to read the error.

I have tried to get the latest drivers for everything but i dunno whats wrong.

You can check my spec on my site if that helps. Everything in the hardware profile is ok except the raid driver which has a ! but i have disabled it anyway cos i dont need it.

try running a memory test on it go to memtest86.com I believe it is and run that. See if you have any memory errors

If the memory test doesn't provide any fixes, try reformatting the computer. If you use FAT32 File system, switch to NTFS File system. (u can while creating partition when installing Windows) NTFS is loaded with more features then FAT32 and it's more stable. Do not overwrite the current windows by reinstalling with out formatting. It'll make it even worse.. I've tried it, its from personal experience.. (story: I had a lil problem with the windows dll that i've corrupted accidently, so i overwrited new windows, and it screwed up all other program, reinstalled it, and screwed up atleast 70% of the system files.. i gave up, baked up important stuffs, reinstalled windows xp.. later i formatted again to put 2000
biggrin.gif
)

Oh yeh its the memory.. I ran the program and got to 15 passes.. It failed on 30 counts (errors) all in the same area of my ram on the same test.. (test #5)..

I stopped it eventually it had no sign of stopping..

What do i do? how do i fix the RAM? I can get you the readout from the program if you need it to tell me what to do... I have never encountered ram issues before an am kinda lost...

All the errors were in teh top end of the memory. I have 1gb corsair paired ddr 3200. All the errors were in the 990-1024 area. All on test 5 which i can get the name of for you.

Test 5 [Block move, 64 moves, cached]

This test stresses memory by using block move (movsl) instructions and is based on Robert Redelmeier's burnBX test. Memory is initialized with shifting patterns that are inverted every 8 bytes. Then 4mb blocks of memory are moved around using the movsl instruction. After the moves are completed the data patterns are checked. Because the data is checked only after the memory moves are completed it is not possible to know where the error occurred. The addresses reported are only for where the bad pattern was found. Since the moves are constrained to a 8mb segment of memory the failing address will always be less than 8mb away from the reported address. Errors from this test are not used to calculate BadRAM patterns.

no way to repair RAM it may be under warranty. Now you have to elimate your bad module. Try removing one memory module and re-run memtest. Then test the other. There is no way to stop memtest other than escape. It's a great burn in tool. Sorry abou the bad RAM

another way: try to take out 1 RAM.. it maybe over-runned cuz it's just flowing with memories. See if it passes test.

Its flippin TwinX RAM. I have to have both modules in for it to work.. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..

Heres hoping its under guarantee.

WaAA! that stinkers.. TwinX is really a powerful RAM, but its hard when 1 of them, or both gets broken.

lets all hope together that it's under some warranty
mad.gif
wow.gif
rock.gif
sad.gif
smile.gif

I phoned up the guys for a warranty and they told me something very interesting.....

Apparently corsair DDR runs at a higher voltage than normal RAM. SO i whacked the ram voltage from 2.6v to 2.7v and it hasnt crashed yet.. (crossed fingers)

Even so it IS under warranty so im alright if it does go belly up again.

Thankyou all for your help and supprt. I could not have solved this without you guys.

rizz.. I forgot to mention. Different motherboards are compatible with different RAM. If your motherboard cannot support Corsair TwinX RAM, it'll crash or cause instability like ur computer. My friend, and my self actually did the similar thing. I did the incompatible ram, and my friend's is a lil different.. he made his CPU go sparkling and blast away.. lol

finally it works.. i think... heres an update

1. changed ram voltage to 2.7 to suit corsair
2. Altered ram timings.
3. Moved the slots the ram sits in (boy is corsair picky)
4. Altered the voltage settings for the cpu on the mobo (asus boards cant handle 200mhz fsb on stock apparently)

Now it all seems to run fine and i have 3dmark giving some respectable scores..gg

i actually took it round to a mate who works in a pc shop and he did a bit of an under the counter full diagnostic on it for me..

was him that sorted the troubles but was me that found them with numerous calls to the technical support line..

nah im staying away from any tests unless it crashes again. so far so good i installed ut2k3 and it looks spankin

Back