Picked up some old Star Wars games

SSquared

I finally got Galactic Battlegrounds and Force Commander the other day coming back from my trip. I had skipped GB when it first came out because the demo seemed SO much like Age of Empires, I just wasn't in the mood for yet another AoE game. And I skipped FC because the reviews were just plain awful. Well, as I am on the hunt to collect Star Wars PC games, I recently put these back on my list.

As it turns out, GB actually has some cool improvements and differences from the AoE series. For example, your research and most unit creation run at 25% of normal until you build a power generator. The generator will only power buildings within a certain radius.

There is a food building you can create that will create food without the expense of having a worker farm or gather. You herd roaming animals to it, garrison them, and I guess it's sort of like a breeding place. Once you gather the animals, it sounds like it's a self-sufficient building.

And, of course there are now flying units.

My gaming time has really been focusing on my Jedi Knight clan, but I am hoping to slip in some GB time and eventually come up with a full review. Currently CCGR only has a preview.

I've started reading the manual for FC (yes, I really DO enjoy reading game manuals) but have not yet installed it.

If you liked the Age of Empires series, it's definitely worth buying. I've never actually played the scenarios in AoE or AoK, I always just created random maps. But for Galactic Battlegrounds, I've been playing through some scenarios. I had to put the game down for a bit as I am replaying Medal of Honor and I also was working on a game/review called StarWraith 3.

Anyway, my original reason for NOT getting Galactic Battlegrounds was because the demo was too much like AoE/AoK and I didn't want just another version of the same game. But, after a few years break, playing the game is rather enjoyable.

There are 4 resources to gather. The game has a much more complex unit balancing (mostly due to the added feature of flying ships). There aren't too many melee units. Most units are ranged and can fire over walls. Plus the animal nursery where you can garrison animals for food. The power cores to generate full power for buildings/research. It definitely has some major changes from the previous Age games. As far as an RTS goes, if you like Age, you'll like it. If you didn't like Age, you probably won't like this.

Used: $6.99 - 20% off = $5.60 @ EBX/EBGames. That's why I decided to finally buy it. Normally they have it used for $13-$16. Unfortunately, the tech tree foldout is missing.
sad.gif
So that makes it difficult to get a decent overview of the civs and to know their bonuses. I've searched the web and can't find the info. I bought the strategy guide off Half.com thinking it would contain the same info, but that didn't work out either. Although the strat guide turns out to be very helpful in other ways.

Now I'm trying to find someone at work who may have the game.

Back