Pokemon Black Elite Four Rematch

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Now that I'm approaching the end of the main story in Pokemon X, I'm considering going back to try to do what I never could in Pokemon Black: Clear the Elite Four Rematch battles.

I'll be Googling for guides in the days to come as free time allows, but if anyone who's bested the Elite Four twice could offer sage advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

Last time I played Black was a few years ago so my advice may not be 100% accurate.

So what you do is get a Super Rod and catch as many Magiscraps as you can until you get a shiny or you just get bored. Then train them up to level 84 but DO NOT evolve them into Garys, also buy around 65 full restores, and 99 revives; also if you have any PP UP MAX, use it on a magikarp's splash move. Once you fight the elite 4 a second time through, smash your A button (or the touch screen) on the splash move. That way the AI will become confused and will have to rethink their lives through. After they have a flash back, proceed to use tackle until they start damaging your magikarps, if that happens, use full restores, potions, & revives whenever possible. It might take a while but you'll beat the first pokeman eventually. /sarcasm

Will write a proper response later on...

Last edited:
Alas I was going to pick up some older pokemon games such as black to catch up on. But with nintendos announcing the shut down of then wii and ds online features that won't be happening. Very sad...I was hoping to get back into black myself.

Good luck with the rematch though. I never beat them twice.

Last time I played Black was a few years ago so my advice may not be 100% accurate.

So what you do is get a Super Rod and catch as many Magiscraps as you can until you get a shiny or you just get bored. Then train them up to level 84 but DO NOT evolve them into Garys, also buy around 65 full restores, and 99 revives; also if you have any PP UP MAX, use it on a magikarp's splash move. Once you fight the elite 4 a second time through, smash your A button (or the touch screen) on the splash move. That way the AI will become confused and will have to rethink their lives through. After they have a flash back, proceed to use tackle until they start damaging your magikarps, if that happens, use full restores, potions, & revives whenever possible. It might take a while but you'll beat the first pokeman eventually. /sarcasm
Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done. ;)

Get Twitch to do it for you.
I wouldn't want them "accidentally" releasing my Emboar. :p

Alas I was going to pick up some older pokemon games such as black to catch up on. But with nintendos announcing the shut down of then wii and ds online features that won't be happening. Very sad...I was hoping to get back into black myself.
You can still play through the game. You just won't be able to trade Pokemon online using Nintendo's servers or access the Dream World. (Pokemon Global Link for Pokemon Black/White and Black 2/White 2 was already shut down.) Local trading will still work.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pokemon community were to come up with a 100% (or close) legit but still unofficial GTS server shortly before the Nintendo servers go offline.

Good luck with the rematch though. I never beat them twice.
Aye, I quit the game when I began to understand just how much grinding would likely be involved to clear the Elite Four Rematch. But now I'm thinking I may be able to play smarter, keep level grinding to a minimum, and give it another go.

If you feel so perplexed with my 100% original strategy, then you could switch out the magikarps with Azurills since they have splash as well. The only downside is that Azurills are slower than magicarps and you need all the speed you can get.

Too bad it isn't Black 2 since there are far more pokemon to choose from. Otherwise you'll just have to look at what you're facing here and construct a team around it. If you don't want to grind, then it's probably best to get your team as soon as possible and just stick with them although the higher your levels, the better.

So if your starter is now an Embroar, the could choose:

Sawk/Meinshao - Probably pretty good against dark type guy
Zoroark/Krookodile - Good against ghost and psychic girls
Reuincilus - Teach it trick room (slowest pokemon can move first(5 turns)) then use psychic against fighting guy.
Chandelure - Insane base SP.ATK so you could use shadow ball against psychic and ghost girls, fire is also good against some of the champ's pokies

Ferrothorn - Defensive and support, teach it leach seed, stealth rock/spikes, thunder wave, power whip/protect etc.
This guy is actually pretty good and was used a lot in competitive play. Try and lead out with this guy and set up your stealth rocks/spikes which damage the opponent's pokemon that switch in. Leech seed coupled with leftovers will make it almost impossible to beat unless your against a fire type.

The following are just pokies with relatively high base stats:
Excadrill
Archeops
Hax
Volcrona
Legendaries

Also try and make your pokeman's movesets diverse and make sure you have a lot of restorative items and you should be good. If all goes wrong, switch back to grinding them Magikarps!

Last edited:
Okay, here are the Pokemon in my current party:

Mienshao (Lv. 74) @ Black Belt
Hi Jump Kick
U-turn
Quick Guard
Reversal

Kyurem (Lv. 75) @ Dragon Fang
Glaciate
Dragon Pulse
Imprison
Endeavor

Ditto (Lv. 66) @ Quick Claw
Transform

Emboar (Lv. 65) @ Charcoal
Roar
Rollout
Arm Thrust
Flamethrower

Zweilous (Lv. 61) @ BlackGlasses
Crunch
Dragon Rush
Dragon Pulse
Scary Face

Gothitelle (Lv. 63) @ TwistedSpoon
Charm
Psychic
Heal Block
Magic Room

I also have:

Krookodile (Lv. 40)
Sand Tomb
Foul Play
Swagger
Embargo

Ferrothorn (Lv. 40)
Selfdestruct
Metal Claw
Iron Defense
Power Whip

Excadrill (Lv. 47)
Earthquake
Metal Claw
Dig
Swords Dance

Haxorus (Lv. 48)
Dragon Dance
Slash
False Swipe
Dragon Pulse

Lampent (Lv. 51)
Will-O-Wisp
Flame Burst
Curse
Hex

I also have several event Pokemon, but I'd like to clear the battle with ONLY Pokemon I've caught myself if at all possible.

I think the issue isn't so much the lack of Pokemon as it is my resistance to grinding levels. When I only have a short window of opportunity to play games in a given day or week, I don't want to spend that meager time "working" toward leveling a character. I remember even battling Audinos made for slow, slow work leveling Pokes beyond level 50.

Experimenting with a new team:

Mienshao (Fighting)
Ferrothorn (Grass/Steel)
Krookodile (Ground/Dark)
Lampent (Ghost/Fire)
Carracosta (Water/Rock)
Kyurem (Dragon/Ice)

Got most of the types covered, though still lacking Psychic, so I may have to alter the team yet again. Maybe swap Lampent for Victini?

You don't have to follow my advice, I was just throwing out some pokemon there and your team seems pretty good. If you don't want a psychic guy then you could switch it for a flying guy. I'm just thinking about the double fire types in your team though fire type works pretty well (I think) against the a majority of the elite 4. Also if you do run victini and lampart/embroar then you could set up a sunny day and sweep with either of them.

Also you can grind levels pretty quickly against Audino's which are found in shaking grass.

I AM THE POKEMON LEAGUE CHAMPIOOOOOOOOON~

After an EXTREMELY narrow victory (ZERO Revives or Max Revives and only a few Max Potions and Full Restores going in to the final match, 4/6 or 5/6 Pokemon fainted at the end of the battle, and a High Jump Kick against Vanilluxe to clinch the win), I am pleased to announce that I defeated the Elite Four (again) AND Alder.

EDIT: I forgot to include in my original post that I SEVERELY underestimated the number of health restore items I would need for the Elite Four and Champion battles. I'm the type who loathes using "less than 10 in the game" super-duper health items (Final Fantasy VI's Megalixirs come to mind), but I knew this would be my last big fight. If not for the final bosses, then when?

Here is my Hall of Fame team:

Emboar (Lv. 67)
Zweilous (Lv. 62)
Gothitelle (Lv. 64)
Mienshao (Lv. 76)
Carracosta (Lv. 60)
Kyurem (Lv. 75)

The most surprising moment? When I knocked Volcarona out with two High Jump Kicks--even though Volcarona is resistant to Fighting-type moves. (My Mienshao has 253 Attack and was holding the Black Belt during the fight.)

Poke-Amph's Elite Four Rematch trainer and Pokemon list was an indispensable resource during the right, helping me pick and choose which Pokes to send in and when.

And rustom, thank you very much for your advice. While I didn't use Krookodile or Ferrothorn in the final battles, your suggestions prompted me to start looking at stats rather than just levels or types and helped me remember why I picked the team I did so long ago (and also helped me modify the lineup a bit).

I'm more excited about this victory than any reasonable person my age has any right to be, but I am savoring the win! :)

Last edited:
Woo hoo you made imaginary animals fight a battle for your entertainment... wait a minute...

KIDDING Tek. I just had to poke-u-man. Congrats on the win :) .

I horde big health items in games too Tek. Not so much afraid to use them but with the OCD way I play games, finding everything, I'm typically max level from all my wandering that means I don't need to use them. It's more likely I'll use the items than run though. I realized just recently I almost never flee since FTL made me do so with some of it's random impossible battles. I've probably run only a handful of times in all the RPGs I've ever played.

Last edited:
Congrats man, I knew you could do it!

Now what :/
I don't know if I'll do much more with Pokemon Black, especially with the Global Link closed and the GTS going offline soon. I might try to capture some of the remaining legendary Pokes from Black (if there are any left; I think I got most if not all of them) then buy a 1-year pass for Pokemon Bank (my trial pass expires today) if/when I have Pokes of value to move over to X.

Considering I logged ~93 hours in the game, I feel like I got my money's worth. :)

And thank you, Gerbil and rustom, for the words of congratulations. :D

I'm thinking about trying to capture Terrakion and Virizion since I already have the other two members of the Swords of Justice (Keldeo and Cobalion).

I may turn my focus to starting (and finishing) Zelda: A Link Between Worlds now that I've earned the title of Pokemon League Champion in both Black and X.

Back