Practice server

James

I looked and looked for a server that matches the settings of the TWL, and I couldn't find one.

So earlier today, I took one of my spare computers and transformed it into a mini UT2004 server and configured it exactly the way TeamWarfare specifies.

It's not very powerful, but it should provide a decent gaming experience for practice purposes.

I'm running it out of my home so please don't expect much.
tounge.gif

ut2004://challengenet.game-server.cc

P.S. This is just for practicing purposes UNTIL the ToJ server is back up I have no intentions of keeping this server permenantly running!

Wicked, thanks James!!! Much appreciated. I'm away this weekend, so no gaming on Friday night, but if peeps from the team (and not on the team) want to hook up on Sunday at the usual time, we can hit up your server and see how hard we can push it.
smile.gif

Right now I have it running the TWL Config which means:

Team Deathmatch
2 vs 2
20 minutes per match
No Weapons Stay
Mutators: UTComp, SafeGame, NoSuperweapons
Stats Tracking

And all the tournament maps in the rotation which makes it ideal for practicing. It's just a question if my poor little home-grown sever can handle it. We can at least try.

Also, I can change the config if you just want a place to play, but I made it mainly for practicing for the TWL.

Okay the server is up and running again.

->I patched the kernel

->Updated all shared libraries and objects

-> Ran a complete security sweep (checking for rootkits and the like)

->Decided to optimize the daemons list just to get that little extra amount of performance from the little server that could.

It's about as good as I can make it, barring the funds for better hardware.
blues.gif

Shut down the server due to lack of activity. No reason to keep ol' Bessie running 24/7 if no-one is playing on it.

Let me know when you all want to practice and I'll start it up again.

James, the public UT2004 server is back up, but I wouldn't mind doing some TDM on a TeamWarfare config'd server. Think you can bring it up for Sunday night?

Sweet.

I can bring it up anytime... Just a matter of flipping a switch..The server is right next to the machine I am on now.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (James @ Jan. 14 2005,11:33)]I can bring it up anytime... Just a matter of flipping a switch..The server is right next to the machine I am on now.
biggrin.gif
Hm. Now I'm curious. I'll try to swing by Sunday if you have it up then. I kinda dig the whole "private server already configured immediately ready for practices" deal. *g*

I'll start it up Sunday morning.. (6:00am EST) and if it gets some use I'll keep it permanent.

If not, I can at least say I tried to help out and feel good about it.

Right now I have it set to public server... If you want me to lock it with a password let me know.

As requested, the server is again running. If it is useful for you all, I will leave it up.

Check it out and let me know: ut2004://challengenet.game-server.cc

If the link doesn't work... Start UT2004, drop to console and type

open challengenet.game-server.cc

and press Enter.

The server also reports to the Atari/Epic and Gamespy master servers, so you can find it on there. However you wont see it in the in-game browser unless you uncheck "Standard Servers Only" because UTComp isn't on the Standard Server Whitelist.

James, we rocked the server on Sunday night and it went pretty good. Pings were all over the place but not unmanageable. Again, thanks for setting it up! I believe you can take it down whenever you want during the week, but if you can bring it up again for next sunday, that would be awesome!

Thanks!

What do you mean by all over the place? Can you give me the average?

I expected the pings to be a bit high, but not all over the place.

I used to run Quake 2, Half-Life and Quake 3 servers from that machine, respectively.

Maybe I can tweak it some more, but it's pretty tweaked out already.
biggrin.gif

Sry, when I say "all over the place", I just meant, in general, "bad".
wink.gif

I think I was avg. something like 120-160. All of us (Kranic, Coldsteel, Michael+) were all in about that range from what I could tell.

Oh, BTW, whenever you have a free 5 mins, can you disable the "safe game check"? We noticed that that just took for ever to get into the game and some people got booted, even though they didn't have anything bad installed.

Thx!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shagz @ Jan. 17 2005,9:55)]Sry, when I say "all over the place", I just meant, in general, "bad".
wink.gif

I think I was avg. something like 120-160.  All of us (Kranic, Coldsteel, Michael+) were all in about that range from what I could tell.

Oh, BTW, whenever you have a free 5 mins, can you disable the "safe game check"?  We noticed that that just took for ever to get into the game and some people got booted, even though they didn't have anything bad installed.

Thx!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Sry, when I say "all over the place", I just meant, in general, "bad".
wink.gif

Well I did warn of that in my first and second posts in this thread. It's just a little server running off of a spare comp in my home, remember.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Oh, BTW, whenever you have a free 5 mins, can you disable the "safe game check"? We noticed that that just took for ever to get into the game and some people got booted, even though they didn't have anything bad installed.

Yes, when I checked my logs this morning I noticed that too, SafeGame is now disabled. .Kkeep in mind though, if they got kicked off of my server, the TWL servers might also react the same way.
rock.gif
You might want to consider "sanitizing" your game installs for the TWL's sake.

re: sanitizing game installs....check. I know Coldsteel had a problem, but he got in eventually. Not sure what he changed in the end.

re: spare comp...warning was noted. Just telling you you were right.
wink.gif

I think TWL uses AntiTCC, not Safe Game. AntiTCC is less secure (I've heard that there are about four aimbots that get through the latest version, and a handful of speedhacks and radars as well) but it gets few false positives.

Also, could we have map voting enabled so we don't cycle to a map ColdSteel takes 10 minutes to download?

By the way, you absolutely rock.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shagz @ Jan. 18 2005,4:40)]re: sanitizing game installs....check.  I know Coldsteel had a problem, but he got in eventually.  Not sure what he changed in the end.
Hey , the problem I had was Granims file error. It is a skin for XMP Ranger add in. The skin I was using was from XMP and so I changed it to a regular UT 2k4 skin and it fixed my getting booted.

On the map ordeal. I can download all of the maps listed in the server in the map rotation while we are not playing and get them installed. I just can't download a 27 mb map in 10 minutes (game ended by then). I have to wait until you all get a new map up.

Sorry I had to leave last eve. I had a shift change at work so I am off every evening this week, up at 4am now until next rotation. cya all on the server, CS

I spent most of today trying to tweak the server config a bit more for performance, although I think I'm trying to squeeze orange juice from a lemon on that one.

While my little game server is a home grown thing, my webserver is quite professional, and I noticed that UT2004 can be set to redirect server downloads to a URL. So I will probably be doing that for downloads so people downloading maps and mutators from my server don't steal what little game bandwidth I have left.

The Lord must've inspired me because I enabled map voting today without checking these forums.
cool.gif

I'm still working on mirroring all my downloadable game server content on my webserver... My brain is pretty much fried right now though, I'll probably finish it up tomorrow.

Back