Preparing to Format - Advice Wanted.

Pilgrim

I had some minor surgery done on my feet this morning.. (more specifically I had a couple of serious ingrown toenails removed, I've had them for around 3 years.) I'm off work for at least a few days..if you could pray that I recover quickly that would be great. :)

Let me get to the point. I want to format my C: drive which is 40 gigs, and is my system drive. I also have drive E: which is 200 gigs, and stores all my TV episodes, photoshop files, etc etc.

Last time I formatted my computer I slipstreamed a windows xp pro install cd with all the updates, etc. I forgot how to do this, can someone provide me with a link on how to do it the right way? There are tons on google, and a lot of different methods. Also, I will be downloading AVG free (I'm ditching Norton), as well as a bunch of other programs and leaving them on my E: drive so I can install them before I connect my computer to the internet.

I was thinking of starting to use Norton Ghost to make a backup of my C: drive with all the programs that I want installed. That way I could just goto the backup next time I want to format? And still have some of my applications installed. Is Norton Ghost any good? Is there another alternative? I dislike Norton Antivirus intensely, so I'm just wondering if it's all Norton products that suck, are memory hogs, etc or if it is just the Antivirus.

I was just looking around on my hard drives, and I have so many random pictures, folders, etc. I need to figure out a better way to organize everything. Got any ideas? Especially my pictures..I know of Picasa..but I just want a better way to back it all up. It takes the pictures folder like 10 second to open, I have over 4000 files in it, plus all the subfolders.

I am going to copy my whole C: drive over to my E: drive, just so I don't lose any of my settings. I find that everytime that I've formatted, I've forgotten at least one batch of settings, or bookmarks.

Last edited:
-I've never slipstreamed before, so I can't really help ya there.

-Yes all Norton products are bloatware. And I'm pretty sure there are good alternatives to Norton Ghost, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

-I use Picasa 2. I haven't discovered any other methods :/

I have mine seperated: Pictures from the internet / Pictures from my Camera(s)
Then I have it by year, then by the date I removed the pics from the media. It's still a sloppy mess.

Thanks. Got my computer reformatted. :) I tried using Norton Ghost, but it wasn't working the way I wanted it to.

I guess I will end up using Picasa 2 as well.

Back