Priests, your Burning Crusade talents are out!

Reason

I haven't had a chance to review them. Wanted to update everyone on the news. Here's the link.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burningcrusade/townhall/talents-and-spells.html

Edit:

Here is my take on things. Some good, some bad, and some inbetween. Remember though, I'm a Shadow Priest at heart so my opinion is going to be swayed a bit towards the "dark side". lol

Spells

Mass Dispel - An AWSOME idea. However the mana cost of 1181 is WAAAY to much. I understand that it can Magic Effects that usually can't be dispelled....but come on! That's a lot of mana!!

Binding Heal - Good idea, and situational. Not sure on how agro will work with this.

Prayer of Mending - Another great idea. I'm just wondering what the cooldown on it is.

Shadow Word: Death - Horrible, horrible, horrible idea. It looks like they tried to take Shadowburn from Warlocks a bit to far. If/When I play my priest again, I will not even train this.

Shades of Darkness - Another excellent idea ONLY because it's an instant cast. It will also depend on if these guys can gain agro for them, or for you. If their attacks gain you agro, pass. If they can gain agro like a voidwalker can, great idea.

More to come later on the talent trees as I haven't messed around with them too much. HOWEVER.....Shadow Priests can now heal in Shadow Form. CAN I GET AN AAAAMEN!!! Amen!!

ttyl,

Chris

Last edited:
Kinda exciting stuff.

I haven't thought about it very long, but it seems as if I may be going even more Discipline with Wend. My initial talent build at 70 if I go Discipline will be 44/17/0

Improved Divine Spirit (buff) means that my targets get increased spell damage and healing by 10% of their spirit.

Reflective Shield - Causes 50% of the dmg absorbed by pw:shield to be reflected back at the attacker..without causing threat - question though...does this include on battles such as spider in ZG when you don't want any dmg to be dealt...would reflective shield mess up the battle?

Pain Suppresion (need 40 pts in Discipline) - Reduces all dmg taken by 60% for 8 seconds (main tank healer!!!)

I did play around with the Holy talents too. If I were to take advantage of Holy I would be 20/41/0

Well, I posted this earlier in General but did not put any thoughts in the post so here I go. Over all I think the talents and spells are good. They have moved towards raids instead of party only.

Spells
Mass Dispel - Think it is a wonderful idea. I can think of a few instances where this will be nice. Just need to make sure that the priest with the best mana pool or fewest responsibilities is the one to cast it. Not a spell to through around lightly.

Shadow Word: Death - Great idea, I have always thought it would be nice to have an instant high damage spell. This is mainly geared toward PvP but has some PvE advantages, mainly to mob healers.

Talents
Shadow Build - First thing I notice is Imp Shadow Weaving (+1% spell damage per non-shadow application) This will probably stack up to 5, but 5% SD increase is nice for only 1 talent point. Next is Focused Mind (reduced mana for mind flay, mind control and mind blast). About time SPs got some mana reduction capabilities. Shadow Power is a nice crit chance for mind blast and shadow word: pain. Lastly and i have my doubts about it, Shadow Mend (SPs healing capability). Only really good for spot heals at best in my mind.

Disc/Holy Build - Basically my biggest question is the Pain Suppression. Is this a self cast or can you cast it on party members. If it is self cast it is not worth 41 points. Imp DS, Reflective Shield and Absolution will make this build.

Holy/Disc Build - The weakest build of all now days. It is almost equal amounts of Holy and Discpline. I do not like Circle of Renew, Surge of Light or Empowered Healing. I think those talents are worthless.

As for Wends question of Refelctive Shield, 2 words, "no threat". I do not think this will cause an issue with the whole no aggro deal except you will cause a little aggro from casting it, but not from the dmg reflected by it.

BTW, my build will more than likely be the 16/0/45 build from above.

My thoughts (from the POV of a teddy tank)

Spells:

Mass Dispel - It is a great idea for those evil bosses (like in MC) that spam huge curses, or such, every 30 seconds... too bad it isn't curses, it is magic effects that this removes (I'm hoping for one for druids that does curses)

Binding Heal - This one I'm not sure I like (huge mana cost), but it could really turn out to be a lifesaver in sticky situations.

Prayer of Mending - This will be HUGE in big raids... I'm thinking BWL with bosses that require multiple tanks... just cast it at the tank team, and they'll all benefit. It doesn't have a cooldown, you just can only have one active at a time, and spamming it will just make you dry out way too fast.

Shadow Word: Death - Basically, this is one of those spells that you use in situations where you die or the enemy dies... when Vaelstratz is at 1/3 of 1% and TastyLash is screaming "NUKE NUKE NUKE!!!!" and will definitely help get you out of nasty situations (a soloing/raid-execute spell, basically) but is completely useless mid-fight. Or against healers.

Shades of Darkness - My opinion on this spell is totally subject to the power and threat control of the shades themselves.

Discipline: 2 w00ts and 2 mehs.

Improved Divine Spirit: w00t. That's all.

Reflective Shield: Take it or leave it. Yes, it will increase overal DPS slightly. But I don't really think holy/disc priests need to up their DPS. I think it is a waste of 5 talents that could be spent elsewards.

Misery: sounds cool, but once again, Holy/disc priests and DPS? It looks to me that blizz is trying to encourage Disc/shad priests again.

Pain Suppression: SOOOO UBER... unless it is self-cast in which case... use fade.

Holy:2 w00ts and 2 okays (or maybe 3 w00ts and 1 okay)

Blessed resilience: good soloing/lowend raids talent... prevents you from being two-shotted by mobs before you can get a fade off. Useless in high-end raids, however --- it isn't like you are gonna survive the first crit.

Surge of Light: Okay, now this is a useful priest DPS item... however your talents may be better spent elsewhere.... maybe.

Empowered Healing: Yes, Please!

Circle of Renewal: Like Tranquility, just without the channelling... I'm jealous.

Shadow: 2 w00ts and 2 mehs

Imp Shadow weaving: Sure, I'll bite... I just think it is a dumb not-very-shadow-priesty concept. But the other casters'll love you.

Focused Mind: Mana conservation for Shadow Priests? o.0 cool.

Shadow Power: Crappy. Yes, in soloing and PvP the +15% chance to crit with Mind Blast is very cool and useful... but only the chronically suicidal would base their casting of Shadow Word: Death on the chance that it would crit. Unless of course you are at full life... but in that case... what are you doing casting SW: D?

Shadow Mend: While I'm happy that Shadow Priests can heal while in Shadow Form... This is a meh to me. Why? Well, it is only really useful in PvP... because in a raid team, you usually 1) heal your team using VE, 2) come out of shadow form [or you should] when things go badly wrong, and 3) usually have ample time to do that. When in a 5-man raid, you are usually more likely to be out of shadow form if you are the main healer, and if you are DPS, then you most likely heal with VE. So basically it is a heal that is only useful when you are soloing.
I'd have much preferred to see some sort of Shadow Word: Shield spell or a talent that made Vampiric Embrace return mana as well as life.

Back