Pvp "Cleric" paladin

Azzie

In solo pvp, we tend to be a subject of /sigh because our fights last so long, even though we are a force to be reckoned with.

But in group pvp, a good support paladin is every horde's absolute worst nightmare.
It's said that in group fights, trying to kill the paladin is probably the worst thing one can do unless the kill is guaranteed (i.e 25,000 crit). If the horde try pounding on the paladin first, the other class(es) he/she's with can pound on the horde, and right when the paladin is about to go down the bubble pops up and is back at full health, also healing his allies. That's 20-30 seconds of wasted time and mana for the horde attackers.

Anyway, for some tips:
-Blessing of Freedom/cleanse your allies. It doesn't cost much mana, and will essentially add many of the paladin's abilities on a class with much higher dps.
-Stun for crowd control, not damage (unless you're throwing a reckoning bomb or doing a finisher.)
-Blessing of Sacrifice and DoT's: 55 damage is given to the paladin each time the target of BoS is hit. Sometimes keeping a DoT on the paladin (by not cleansing it) is good to prevent sheeping and sapping. BoS is very useful in keeping yourself from Crowd Control too.
-Blessing of Protection: For hunters, rogues and warriors, it might be nice to make a macro that tells the party what blessing you did, because this prevents them from attacking even though it makes them immune to all physical attacks for 10 seconds. On casters, this seriously makes the horde cry...unless they're casters too.
-While Banadaging while shielded saves mana, the fact that it takes 8 seconds to do the full effect often means your allies are dead. Heal your allies first, then throw a big one on yourself before the Divine Shield Timer goes off.
-Stand in a good position; an ideal place is atop a hill with the fighting going on at the bottom of the hill. This way it takes effort for the horde to get to you, all allies are in line of sight for heals/blessings/cleanses, and lastly, it looks awesome standing at the top in shining gold armor :D
-You will want to use concentration aura as default, espcecially if talents are put into the improved version. You won't do much good if you can't pull heals off in time due to spell interruption. Devotion aura and an entire 700 armor is, in my opinion, not as good as consistent and resistant heals.
-To those with the paladin: Do yourself and the pally a favor, and don't stray too far from the paladin. DO NOT RUN AROUND CORNERS UNLESS HE IS RIGHT NEXT TO YOU. I have had ABSOLUTELY enough of trying to heal people, and right when my heal goes off the target goes around a corner and it says "target not in line of sight," Only for me to be flamed for not healing.

To get a glimpse of the nightmares paladins cause in group pvp (and some solo pvp too), check out videos by Jamaz of Shadowmoon (He has 4, named "Conviction", "Devotion", "Fanatacism", and "Fist of the Heavens".) It's pre 1.9, but our support abilities are relatively unchanged. 2 v 4, 2 v 5, 3 v 5, and 3 v 7 fights are seen in those.

Last edited:
Specs I recommend for support group pvp:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...?05513122501051053201004320000000000000000000
31 holy 20 protection, utilizing healing and durability. Lots of armor, stamina, a shield, and +healing gear is great for this spec.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...?05503122501000053241000331500000000000000000
24 holy, 27 protection, utilizing durability and the reckoning bomb. Lots of stamina, +healing, and a big fat slow 2hander is great for this spec. Unlike the first spec, this is a bit more dependent on the group.
The trick with this one is reckoning; to utilize its full potential, a slow 2hander is best meaning that you're a bit easier to take down. But, the awesome power of the reckoning bomb is seen after being hit by 4 crits (poor rogues :D). The next swing after 4 crits will have 5 times the power as normal, and even more with seal of righteousness, hence the term "reckbomb." It's really fun seeing a paladin all of a sudden 1-shot a caster after taking hits while doing nothing but healing. :D
But reckoning is a bit tricky to use; it'll take some getting used to. Stunning an opponent prevents them from dodging or parrying the swings in a reckoning bomb.

Pre 1.9 a full protection spec with repentance (which is what Jamaz uses in the first 3 videos) is excellent for additional crowd control (Any damage will awaken the target, so a macro for this is important in group pvp too). Sadly, repentance is now in retribution which is a tree that really doesn't do too much in enhancing the support side of the paladin. Still, ret specced paladins can still do most support functions while doing more damage too.

Last edited:
hehe yeah i saw that vid; although this isnt the first time something like this happened.

Twice so far I have been the last man standing against a boss at 1% (once in ZG against Jeklik, once in UBRS against Drakk), but because i always had HEALING gear on I failed both times. Stank like rats.

But, I believe Grievous of Dragonmaw has a video of him actually main tanking Onyxia. Additionally, I've seen Niffty from the Holicron Knights tank Onyxia quite a few times on our raids.

The freaky thing was before the reckoning fix when a solo paladin 2-shotted Lord Kazzak! ;)

This is a great video displaying the ultimate powers of a paladin in group pvp:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6381268445015657106&q=combat+healer

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=20896

Both links are the same video.

This also shows exactly the idea I was thinking about on my post on the general forums called "battlegroups."

Some comments on the video:
1) Yes, i realize they're all in insane gear.
2) I'd recommend concentration aura over devotion.
3) Music selection is interesting...
4) Round 1 against team Lodekim is really cool.

Back