PvP Tuesday 6/8 8:30 PM EST

dorkelf

I'm excited about doing some alliance PvP again! Its been a while, so I thought we'd start with Alliance Battles. Mirawyn and I plan to be logged into TS at 8:30. If you are new to the game, you have to have Factions to play AB and you'll also need Teamspeak, a free piece of software for voice communication. No PvP experience is required to join us. Post here with any questions or comments. Hope to see you there! :)

I'll try and show up. I can bring almost anything for AB.

I've never done PvP but I'm up to try. I have Factions and TeamSpeak. I'm a decent caster with Fire Elem or Monk Smiter - and I've done some Healing Monk as well. Will either of those be a help?

I've only done a little PvP. So you don't have to win those five battles in a row on the battle isles in order to do AB?

I've got a fire Ele also, but I could reconfigure for water or air as well.

Buh-weet say your builds are oh-tay!!

Any of the builds you guys mentioned can be used in AB, so I hope you'll join us and feel free to try anything you'd like. You will learn what works and doesn't and you can gradually tweak you build to make it more effective. The secret to success in AB (unlike HoH) isn't as much your individual or team build but rather what you do with it. But here are basic guidelines for builds in AB, to get you started:

1 You will not need a res sig, because when you die you rez automatically.
2 You will sometimes get separated from the group, particularly when you die and rez. So its a good idea to include some self-heal or protection if you can, even if there's a monk in the group.
3 Most AB builds have some way to increase your speed. I've often done fine without speed boost, but it does give you a definite advantage in combat and helps you keep up with your group too.
4 Monking is probably the hardest thing to do in AB, so I'd say avoid this unless you really want to do it.
5 Area of effect skills and those that benefit from having a lot of allies or enemies nearby are obviously good choices for AB. One of the simplest yet most effective AB builds is a Savannah Heat ele.

And here are general guidelines for play:

1 The game is all about points, which are earned mostly through controlling altars. So "capping" or "altar capping" is a very important strategy. To cap, you eliminate the NPC enemies guarding the altar and then stand on the altar long enough to cap it. The more people standing on it, the faster it caps. It is best to continually cap throughout the game, stopping to fight PC enemies only when you have a very clear advantage. This is probably the trickiest things about AB - deciding when to stop and fight and when to run and keep capping. Its good to have a single person in the team in charge of making this decision.

2 You will have your 4-person team, but also your overall team, which is a bunch of other people. So keep in mind when you type things into team chat during AB that everyone on the overall team sees it.

3 When you get separated from your group (which will definitely happen), it can be difficult to figure out how to get back with them. Sometimes it is best to run with another group (hopefully they will be altar capping like they should) until you come back across your team.

4 Whenever we lose, it is Dredd's fault. This is a long-standing guild tradition and doesn't require Dredd to be actually participating at the time. :D

I hope to be able to make it. It's on Tuesday, 6/9? I have it on my calendar. Meet at the SoE GH?

I hope to be able to make it. It's on Tuesday, 6/9? I have it on my calendar. Meet at the SoE GH?

Yes, and log into Teamspeak if you can. Not required, but highly recommended. Even if you don't have a mic it still helps to hear what's going on.

Doh! Just realized. Tomorrow my family and the pastor's family are gonna head down to 6 Flags. So I won't be able to make it. Good luck tho! Get a Luxon for me ;)

Doh! Just realized. Tomorrow my family and the pastor's family are gonna head down to 6 Flags. So I won't be able to make it. Good luck tho! Get a Luxon for me ;)

Will do. We have a Six Flags here too and Dea and I are planning to go this summer. They've got the Batman, which is by far my favorite roller coaster. Have fun!

Paul

Well, looks like I might not be playing tonight after all.

I had a little incident last night with a heavy-duty staple which was lost and then found...by my toe. Between the lost sleep (home from emergency room after 1 am) and my very stiff arm from my tetanus shot, I don't think I'm up to it.

Fortunately, I can type well. It's just having to actually move my right arm that causes difficulty. And I HAVE to play with a mouse.

I really wanted to play, too! I love AB!

I'm not going to be able to make it - I have to bail about 6:15 - 9:15 your time - so I better not get started. Maybe next time. I do want to get into PvP.

Y'all have fun.

Back