Question from the thread on John

Thaddius

Can someone explain something to me.

20Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee?

What does John mean that Peter is saying here? Is Peter asking who betrayed Christ? Or is he asking "was the one who betrayed you John?" I find it confusing because Peter was in the garden when Judas betrayed Christ and he lopped off one guys ear.

From John: 18
10Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus.

So, what is meant in his question if he already knew the answer? (unless he speaks of another betrayal)

Cory

Peter did not ask who would betray Christ. The phrase after the semi-colon is a description of John as the one who leaned against Jesus and asked who would betray Him during the last supper. Read John 13:21 through 13:26.

You had me stumped, Thad! That explaination makes perfectly good sense! I was thinking that Peter was worried that he might betray him again, was still bowed down because of betraying Jesus...that ministered to me yesterday, but it didn't seem right and for once, Matthew Henry was not a very big help!

Another question for me in this area is this verse:

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou was young, thou girdest thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not. John 21:18

I don't see this as painfully clear that Peter will die a martyr's death. I don't understand.

Tradition holds that the stretching forth of his hands was a prophecy of Peter's crucifixion. Some say that this verse means Peter would die by crucifixion when he was old.

Tradition of the early church stated that Peter was crucified upside down. He ended up being a martyr for God.

That is what I was curious about. I wonder if "stretching forth of hands" was a way of saying that he would be crucified, a slang of the times, if you will. Unless I had heard that taught, I am not certain that I would have seen that in that verse....evil caretakers, maybe. When I read they take him where he would not want to go. Then Peter seemed to perfectly understand what Jesus meant. Hind sight being 20/20, I can see how we would know after the fact. What I get out of it is that Peter understood, then, in essence, went on to say, "Then what will happen to John?" Am I seeing it wrong, or were they competitive at times? They also wanted to know who sit by Him in Heaven, who would be first...as I understand these things it gives me hope. The Saints of old were not superhuman, they were saved sinners like as unto us, seeking to get close to Jesus!

Yes I think you've got it right. They were definitely competitive at times. They all wanted to be the teachers pet so to speak :)

Back