R E S P E C T...tell me what it means...

Genesis1315

Ladies
I have a question

at what point does an action turn from respecting someone to disrespecting someone?

Gen

p.s. I am fully aware that I am not Aretha Franklin :p

ok, I'll take a stab - I've been thinking about it since you posted it - was going to see how it kind of evolved....

at what point does an action turn from respecting someone to disrespecting someone?

My opinion is : an action turns from respecting someone to direspecting someone when they are no longer treating somebody like Jesus would treat somebody. Does that make any sense? If you are to live up to the standards of being a "genuine Christian" then I would think that your aim when it comes to respecting somebody would be treating them like Jesus treats us --- or at least trying to. Ok, that is a really kind of overall perspective, in a perfect/ideal world that might actually happen...

And I'm not so sure that that point makes any sense at all :(

In a broader sense, when you are rude, violent - physically or emotionally or spiritually, when you call people names, when you lie, when you do things behind there back, then definately you aren't showing respect for that person.

My latest endeavor has been 'experiencing the heart of Christ' - I've learned a lot and this could be why I replied the way I did.

Last edited:
Good Question...let me try...

Galatians 5:14
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

If we exhibit the gifts of the spirit we will show respect to all, including the Lord: Love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance.

Conversely, if we exhibit the works of the flesh we show disrespect: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like.

Just my thoughts…. If we were perfect we would ALWAYS show respect, unfortunately he slip and slide through life…the best we can do is repent. Most of the works of the flesh should be fairly easy to avoid if we are filled with the Spirit. This is not to say we won’t ever mess up or don’t have certain demons to fight. Even David fell prey to a number of those, but he knew how to obey and he knew how to repent.

Genesis1315 said:
So, how would you classify an action that could be percieved as rude, even if it was intended to prevent sinning?

That is the one that I am guilty of the most probably. Hopefully, if I'm "prayed up" the Spirit helps me not to offend my brother and/or sister. If I still make that error, I always try and communicate, remembering that I was the offensive one. We need to remember that key point, and correct whatever mistake we have made, through diplomacy. See the other persons point of view. Everyone is different and we all have different "buttons".

LOL...I hope this makes sense, but I have 6 children running around right now and I keep getting distracted from my train of thought...lol.

If we can keep Christ in us, and remember to communicate reasonably, and don't forget that everyone percieves things differently, we should be able to overcome anything, theoretically.

My turn...what about terrorists? We offend them just by our beliefs. How do we as Christians handle that? Is there an appropriate way? I am not sure that the above principals would work. Did I go off track?
(btw...I do support our country, president and troops 100%)

There is a scripture that speaks of a time for everything, a season for everything and a purpose for evrything. A time to weep, a time to laugh, a time for war, and a time for peace. Again I am distracted so I lost my train of thought...sorry. I believe it is in Ecclesiastes. Now I have side tracked...maybe. I will end on that note.

Last edited:
i would use an example that happened just a few weeks ago: i was in homegroup and its all guys, and a friend made a very nasty joke/comment about me, now me n him have been best friends for years and this is the first time hes said something as such, but i lost respect for him becuase of his words and actions, were #1 insulting to myself, #2 inferred many things that were not holy, #3 it was a homegroup and bible study, #4 is as shyfroggy said it "when they are no longer treating somebody like Jesus would treat somebody."

if your being rude to stop someone from sinning then your doing what you can do, but to persue it, it isnt our responsibilty

but i lost respect for him becuase of his words and actions

Atown - do you think you were being judgemental by loosing respect

Others - what's your opinion... By loosing respect for someone is it being judgemental.

Please note, again, these questions are being asked out of a genuine curiousity. I am not intending to condemn anyone by asking this.

Gen

Yes it is judgemental IMO & in the Spirit of my God..

But dun let this decision cause u to loose hope!

Jesus Himself is our Hight Priest, sitting at the right had of God the Father interceeding for us!

God has already forgiven all our sin...Past, present and future!
Our speach to God aught to be thus..

"Father, I confess my sins in Jesus name. Thank you for forgiving me!"

The enemy comes to condemn, but the Spirit of God comes to correct and discipline :)

Gentle, meek, and kind! Always vieing for the Life of Christ in us to shine!

By loosing respect for someone is it being judgemental

No. I will give anybody a chance, but if they are going to be rude and disrespectful, if they are going to be physically, or emotionally abusive, if they are going to violate my personal space, then my respect for them will be gone. Am I being judgemental? No, I'm standing up for myself. Will I still tolerate them? sure. Will I still be kind around them? sure. It's about turning the other cheek right? But it's somebodies actions towards me that put me in harms way when I lose respect for that pereson.

I lose respect for people who give up too easily as well. Well I shouldn't say it like that - here I'll give you an example of why I've lost respect recently for somebody in my own family (even though they didn't put me in harms way.) I have a cousin who was taken out of the home by DCF due to some allegations. Three or four years later and he still hasn't returned. Do you give up hope on trying to find him? Absoultly not - I'll keep trying until I succeed. He needs to know that he does have family that loves and cares about him. Well, three of my other family members feel that for all practical purposes he is no longer a part of the family....that he is a 'non-person' and that he 'wrecked there home.' I have lost respect for those people who have given up on him, I mean he's family. Do I still get along with those people? Sure. But I don't respect how they could act like that and talk like that.

As Christians it's good to witness to those who haven't found Jesus yet. But there is also a time to everything. Sometimes its about surrounding ourselves in a Christian environment, around genuine christians who would respect us the way we ought to be respected.

just my 2¢

Shyfroggy said:
No. I will give anybody a chance, but if they are going to be rude and disrespectful, if they are going to be physically, or emotionally abusive, if they are going to violate my personal space, then my respect for them will be gone. Am I being judgemental? No, I'm standing up for myself. Will I still tolerate them? sure. Will I still be kind around them? sure. It's about turning the other cheek right? But it's somebodies actions towards me that put me in harms way when I lose respect for that pereson.

I lose respect for people who give up too easily as well. Well I shouldn't say it like that - here I'll give you an example of why I've lost respect recently for somebody in my own family (even though they didn't put me in harms way.) I have a cousin who was taken out of the home by DCF due to some allegations. Three or four years later and he still hasn't returned. Do you give up hope on trying to find him? Absoultly not - I'll keep trying until I succeed. He needs to know that he does have family that loves and cares about him. Well, three of my other family members feel that for all practical purposes he is no longer a part of the family....that he is a 'non-person' and that he 'wrecked there home.' I have lost respect for those people who have given up on him, I mean he's family. Do I still get along with those people? Sure. But I don't respect how they could act like that and talk like that.

As Christians it's good to witness to those who haven't found Jesus yet. But there is also a time to everything. Sometimes its about surrounding ourselves in a Christian environment, around genuine christians who would respect us the way we ought to be respected.

just my 2¢

I agree with what you said, about how you do not "respect how they could act like that and talk like that" But not with loosing respect for them, because of it.. I agree it is difficult at times...nigh IMPOSSIBLE-WooT-But this is why Jesus gave us His Life.. He Lives, and He Lives to interceed for us.. I think mabey God is calling you to prayer on this one-HeH

You say you stand up for yourself..
This is a dangerous path to tread!..

Isaiah 59 with emphasis on 16-20 for relevancy..

Please read! And do post again!
Love, In Christ :)

Respect hmm try Luke 17:3-4 also Luke 6:36-37, Much much more can be found to fulfill the description of respect but note who deserves the most respect. If a brother or sister stumbles slips errors or something to dismay you then it is up to us to dust them off and encourage, strengthen them in back on the proper path.. Now as for worldly people well love the enemy thing and give ceasar his dues hehehe Gosh hehehe Not my rule and yeh its hard to respect the world and its ways but since we are not part of this world just temps then We must use respect towards sin itself and how it effects the rest of the world.We know the power of sin and we know exactly what price was paid to redeem us from it..So in essance of this price paid we must show respect always. For if we don't what message do we send out?

Hmmm, how can one show respect for sin? (note: I am refering to the action, not the person)

I also understand forgiveness. But let me bring up this point...

There is one who is not saved. He lives of the world and in the world. He repeatedly sins without making any change or effort to stop sinning.
1. We are called to love the sinner, not the sin - is this a problem give the above senario?
2. We are not to judge - but God has given some very clear guidelines regarding living and he is very clearly choosing to do what he wants.
3. He has no desire to change...

How are we to deal with his actions and this person

2 Peter 1:3-11
3 As we know Jesus better, his divine power gives us everything we need for living a godly life. He has called us to receive his own glory and goodness! 4 And by that same mighty power, he has given us all of his rich and wonderful promises. He has promised that you will escape the decadence all around you caused by evil desires and that you will share in his divine nature.
5 So make every effort to apply the benefits of these promises to your life. Then your faith will produce a life of moral excellence. A life of moral excellence leads to knowing God better. 6 Knowing God leads to self-control. Self-control leads to patient endurance, and patient endurance leads to godliness. 7 Godliness leads to love for other Christians, and finally you will grow to have genuine love for everyone. 8 The more you grow like this, the more you will become productive and useful in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But those who fail to develop these virtues are blind or, at least, very shortsighted. They have already forgotten that God has cleansed them from their old life of sin.
10 So, dear brothers and sisters, work hard to prove that you really are among those God has called and chosen. Doing this, you will never stumble or fall away. 11 And God will open wide the gates of heaven for you to enter into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Sin matters not its is still sin and because of sin there was a sacrifice in our benefit. Hard to except that sin deserves respect and that it had a cost and not to recognize that price paid is as bad as not excepting at all. Thats why I chose the verse from Luke 17.. We can"t judge. We must forgive as the last words of Jesus rang out to be noted forgive them for they no not what they do...Kinda opposite of muhammed hehehe more than kinda. As I grow older I have found myself more leiniant towards the world its people and their ways Y because its is not my problem..That rests on stronger shoulders..1st Corinthians 2:16..As for worldly people well its spread the message and if its excepted then wOOt but if not we are to move on but Love stands in the way of moving on.. Matthew 5:44-48... I myself would choose to not give up on any soul. I plant n plant as often as I can until spritual growth is seen.. Would you ever give up on raising your children right, of course not.. God see all of us as sinners unless we have excepted Jesus.. SO with sin recognized we see that sin is in control of the world and we know that there is a answer! How we share what we know is in the knowledge of our God through the eyes of Jesus.1 Peter 4:8-- 1 John 2:9-10 James 2:8--Old school Leviticus 19:18--John 15:18-20

Back