Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc

SSquared

This week's free game at CompUSA is 'Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc'. Having wanted to play one of the Rayman games, I picked this one up. The graphics are WAY cool on this one. And it's pretty funny. But boy oh boy! The installation was HORRRRRRIBLE. Once I got past that, I reinserted disc 1 because I did a full install. The manual said a full/complete install means you ONLY need to run the game off disc 1. So, disc 1.......didn't work. It asked for disc 2. Arrghhh!

OK, so now I'm up and running. The next issue is the controls. Maybe it's because I'm not a console gamer, but it doesn't seem like they tried to do anything to convert it to a PC game. I'm sure it'll take some getting used to, I just need to be patient. You can use the arrow keys, but they don't quite work how I expected. I would expect 'up' to make me move foward and left/right to make me turn. Nope. All the arrow keys move you forward in the specified direction. So, clicking Left makes you start moving that direction. It's tough to get used to. Perhaps console gamers are like, "Yeah? So?" But to me, they should have made the controls more for a PC gamer. I just need to spend more time with it, or perhaps there is some keyboard command I need to change.

Anyone else try this one?

Well no wonder why it's free!
biggrin.gif

Yes, I have heard of it but have not yet played it. The demo for the computer doesnt work, but I really like platformers, especially Rayman.

Nah. It's not free because it's got so many problems. LOL. Many times their free games are pretty good (they've had Railroad Tycoon II, Oni, Serious Sam, and others).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The demo for the computer doesnt work,

You have got to be kidding, but it doesn't surprise me. Do these guys test their software? Well...if you have a CompUSA nearby, now you don't need the demo. You can get the full game for free (after rebate).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CCGR @ Aug. 19 2003,12:20)]never heard of it

Ohhhh, you'd love it!  Jumping jumping and more jumping.  Falling and trying it again over and over and over because the controls are horrible.  Yes!  This game is exactly what you are looking for.
smile.gif
Arrrgghh.  I spent like 15 minutes trying to make it across a ledge and I never made it.  And if you fall you gotta make it past several other jumps to get back to the ledge.  I can't figure out how the game got decent marks.

Another night of playing and I have some good news! I get it now! I couldn't stop playing! I plugged in my joystick and it made such a difference! The camera angle is still sometimes screwy and there is still a little strangeness to get used to, but I was probably playing for 2 hours last night and having a blast.

The graphics in the game are absolutely superb. I am actually very amazed that this is on my computer screen. The game is quite funny. Once I got the hang of things, I haven't really run across difficult jumping puzzles, and the game is loaded with jumping.

Unfortunately, you have no freedom to save. The game is saved automatically when you complete levels. This messed me up a bit because I moved to the next level before I picked up any points. All I did was stand on something and I was sent to the next level and a big fat 0 score was shown. You can't go back either.

Anyway, it's turning out to be a very cool game!
biggrin.gif
Definitely worth the price. Sorry for all my frustration earlier. Just don't use the keyboard and you'll start off in a much better mood than me.

Back